Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Poison Oak - the corridor of fear

Day 89, Mile 1506.5---This is going to have to be short. I made it into Castella by 7:30. I did 28ish miles today and just put away two bags of chips, an egg-sausage burrito, a banana, 2.5 beers, half a bag of nilla wafers, 1 liter of Gatorade and some of Will and Julia's leftovers. Highlights of today included two bear sightings, and with the winds working, a great view of Mt. Shasta. The trail was lined with poison oak for the majority of the day, as it was for half the day yesterday as well. I will be surprised if i do not get the rash. I just wish poison oak had some sort of stinging nettles so you know when you got... got. This wait 3-4 days to find out things is really just diabolical. Anyway the plan from here is to do some shopping tomorrow for the next leg and then take off. I was scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so this should jump me a half day ahead. I hope to get in a day early to Etna as well, i just have to do all 25's. Alright this post is lacking in all area's and my eyes are barely open. Goodnight. Thought of the day; i miss my Zoƫ dog. Songs of the day; woke up this morning with - taaaayk it eeeeezay, taaaayk it eeeeezay, don't let the sound of yer own wheeels drive you craaaayzay. This afternoon it was, let meee see you 1-2 step. Both by somebody different, neither of which i know. Craving of the day; take a ripe peach slice, and a slice of mango, sprinkle raw sugar on one side of each. Then with a creme brulee torch melt the sugar and then press the two sides together. Serve over a small single scoop of high quality vanilla ice cream. I think it would work.

JWC on the PCT

4 comments:

Mom and Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I rmember listening to this song as your mom and I actually were driving through Winslow, Arizona (see lyrics below) "back in the day" (Nov. 1979, road trip from Iowa to CA) GOOD song!

The Eagles "Take it easy"
Take it easy
take it easy
Don't let the sound of your own wheels
drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand,
just find a place to make your stand and take it easy.

Well, I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see:
it's a girl, my Lord, in a flat bed Ford
slowin' down to take a look at me.
Come on, baby, don't say maybe.
I gotta know if your sweet love is gonna save me.
We may lose and we may win
though we will never be here again.
So open up, I'm climbin' in, so take it easy.

Well, I'm a runnin' down the road, tryin' to loosen my load,
got a world of trouble on my mind.
Lookin' for a lover who won't blow my cover,
she's so hard to find.
Take it easy, take it easy,
don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.
Come on, baby, don't say maybe.
I gotta know if your sweet love is gonna save me.
take it easy... etc.

All this talk of food in these blogs has made me hungry!

Bye for now, Jess.

Mom and Dad said...

Great dessert idea!! We'll try it when you stop trekking (that makes you sound like you're a Star Trek freak) let's just say when you stop "walking"



Take it Easy by The Eagles

love, mom

Unknown said...

Jesse,

I have been following your every step and you are truly an amazing and brave young man. I think about you when I take my measly 7 mile daily walks and wonder what you must be looking at, as I stare at concrete and breath in smog down here in Long Beach. Your diligence keeps me motivated. I have an idea for your daily food cravings. I think you should compile them all together in a PCT recipe book when you get back. Your Mom can help you with the ingredients.:)
I will be walking with you every day from down here in the LBC.
Your neighbor across the street. Pam