Day 89, Mile 1506.5---This is going to have to be short. I made it into Castella by 7:30. I did 28ish miles today and just put away two bags of chips, an egg-sausage burrito, a banana, 2.5 beers, half a bag of nilla wafers, 1 liter of Gatorade and some of Will and Julia's leftovers. Highlights of today included two bear sightings, and with the winds working, a great view of Mt. Shasta. The trail was lined with poison oak for the majority of the day, as it was for half the day yesterday as well. I will be surprised if i do not get the rash. I just wish poison oak had some sort of stinging nettles so you know when you got... got. This wait 3-4 days to find out things is really just diabolical. Anyway the plan from here is to do some shopping tomorrow for the next leg and then take off. I was scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so this should jump me a half day ahead. I hope to get in a day early to Etna as well, i just have to do all 25's. Alright this post is lacking in all area's and my eyes are barely open. Goodnight. Thought of the day; i miss my Zoë dog. Songs of the day; woke up this morning with - taaaayk it eeeeezay, taaaayk it eeeeezay, don't let the sound of yer own wheeels drive you craaaayzay. This afternoon it was, let meee see you 1-2 step. Both by somebody different, neither of which i know. Craving of the day; take a ripe peach slice, and a slice of mango, sprinkle raw sugar on one side of each. Then with a creme brulee torch melt the sugar and then press the two sides together. Serve over a small single scoop of high quality vanilla ice cream. I think it would work.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Poison Oak - the corridor of fear
- They call me the Beastmaster
- Over-grown; Under-statement
- Looking to the future
- Clean to filthy in half a day
- I am getting spoiled rotten
- Good beginning,great middle,questionable ending
- Old school meets new school
- I thought i was slower than this
- Another half day
- Weakness leads to goodness
- Adios Bousquets
- On to my 25th year
- Donner party of 13, your table is ready
- Departure from the blue house
- Pictures From the Sierras
- Good food, good day
- Fast walker, fast talker
- A pack of forest fire lites please
- Worth the wait
- Pleasant day
- Kind of boring actually
- Wildflurs Erywur
- Good day for me, bad day for Max
- July 4th; a rough day to be away
- I dislike 8 day rations
- Back in the Saddle
- A rough re-entry
- A good day
- A proper zero
- Celebrate--good times
- ▼ July (32)