Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Over-grown; Under-statement

Day 87, Mile 1453.0---Morning started with a phone call home to see how my Dad's Whitney trip went. Spent too long on the phone with the parents and started imagining where they were in the house, their soft surroundings, and the food that was in the fridge. Got on trail around 9:20 and shortly thereafter i was accosted by the paparazzi. This woman took pictures of me as i crossed the dam, then when i got close she asked me to stop for a picture. Then she demanded not asked me to take off my sunglasses so that "we can see your face" and then snapped another one. It was quite strange but par for the course out here. At what i thought was going to be the end of my day i met up with Will and Julia. They planned on going about 3 miles more to camp near water so i joined them. Along the way we saw some decent size bear tracks on the trail. We got to the creek and small campsite just before 9. I ate and we hung our food, problem was i forgot about the bag of jerky and trail mix i keep in my pack for snack breaks. WOW that was ironic, as i was typing that sentence i kept thinking i was hearing something walk around and then i realized that something was about 10ft from my tent/head. I yelled "GET OUTTA HERE! but it only retreated to behind a tree and then circled over to where Will and Julia are(were) sleeping. I could see the eyes but that's it, but by it's movement it appeared to be a bear. Will started hollering too and then i started in with a series of growls and barks. We talked and nervously made semi good jokes that come off better when you're in these types of situations. Then we decided to hang the rest of everything that could possibly smell good to a bear. I found a nice split stick and banged it on every thing and did about 4 different barks hoping it would think we got a frickin dog sled team with us. Although it also occurred to me that it might say wait a second ,is that only a couple of Cocker Spaniels? I can kick the shit out of those. That would not be the desired effect. We got it all up in the tree without being attacked in the interim anyway. Except i still forgot to put in my chapstick i just realized, hmm ...that is unfortunate to say the least. I think i will put it in the foot of my sleeping bag to mask the odor with the stronger stench of my feet. Alright as much as i would like to just write all night and keep vigil i should probably try and get some sleep. Thought of the day; i want to know every different theological account of dinosaurs. Song of the day; arrrr we really haaappy with thihis lonely game we plaayy, laaawst in the maaasscuraaade. Craving of the day; camp(BBSR) food, specifically corn dogs, hot dogs, potato chips with ranch, a beautiful handcrafted salad with ranch, watermelon and cantaloupe and grapes.post script; i wanted to thank everyone who has been commenting on my blog, i have heard that it can be very trying at times. Maybe i should write google and explain how these comments are my fuel, and i highly value them, so they should handle their business and fix the problem. Uh, i hear something - gotta go.

JWC on the PCT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yikes sounds pretty scary - you need one of those loud horn things obnoxious fans blow at sporting events! Loved the smelly feet + chapstick image.
"Masquerade" by George Benson

ark said...

Jesse...I used to sing that song,
sitting up in my bed with my head
leaned against my headboard, when
I lived in Port Townsend. I would
put the kids to bed, get in bed myself, and cry for about two hours
before I could go to sleep. I was very sad and it was a nicely sad song to sing. Thanks be to God, I
am no longer a sad woman. I am a really blessed and happy woman. And your bear story made me think that I really don't want to hike that trail except vicariously. Keep telling the stories and I'll keep reading them and enjoying them immensely from the comfort and safety of my cozy little apartment! Love your sense of humor!! Love always.........Andrea