Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A proper zero

Day 60, a zero--Woke up this morning at 5:19am, managed to stay in bed til about 6:20 then wrote the blog post for yesterday. Had a great breakfast this morning, the waffles didn't turn out quite like i had planned(i beat the crap out of the batter) but everything else was good. Spent some of the day just hanging out, and when the Internet was working i was posting blogs. Interesting to be doing it myself, spell checking and everything. In fact i found out i am a habitual mis-speller of sandwich, mosquito, and protein. Tried to get some pictures up but only one from Guitar Lake made it before the connection went down for like the 5th time and i gave up. Ate a lot of good food today, just need more sleep to make the recovery complete. In the afternoon my Dad and i went on a hike which was pretty cool. He wanted to get a "workout" at altitude because he plans to summit Whitney in July. Had dinner with Kraig and Gina and my parents at a nice place, the food didn't taste as great as it looked but it was good enough. We left Max in the condo and he continued to prove himself as he refrained from annihilating anything while we were out. I forgot to mention earlier that my parents came up with Max so he could get on the trail with Kraig and Gina. Only problem is he was on a high powered food and without 20 miles a day Max became obese since Kraig has been gone. So they will definitely have to take it easy when they get back on trail tomorrow and see how Max gets along. Watched a movie and had fruit and popcorn tonight which was nice. But it happened to make it a late night again so i gotta enjoy this bed right now and knock out. But before i do, i want to wish my godson Roman a happy 1st birthday, you only turn one once, live it up buddy. Thought for the day; I am proud to be born(almost) and raised in Long Beach. Song of the day; none that i can remember. Cravings of the day; nope, allll good.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: