Day 76, Mile 1155.8---Had a hard time getting out of bed this morning again, i think all these days off are making me soft. But that is not stopping me from zero-ing again tomorrow. Today went very well. Got into the Truckee area around 12:30ish and got picked up by Larry and Esther soon after. Had a free hiker beer at the Donner Ski Ranch while i waited, it was cheap but refreshing. Came back to the Bousquet's abode and had tri-tip sandwiches and fruit salad for lunch, it doesn't get much more down my alley than that. Later we went into Reno and i got a new pair of shoes(NB 992), new sleeping pad(same), and a replacement filter cartridge(obviously the same, its a replacement). We had dinner at Claim Jumper where i polished off a full order of "chicken and biscuits" and a large appetizer salad, it was real good. I got on the internet upon my return and read the newest batch of comments. Also saw that my Mother and Father chose to put up some pictures of a sort of before and after, or rather a before and so-far. Not a big fan of either Jesse the chubs or Jesse the starving miner look. I also read that my Mom thinks folks should know more about the people i am visiting or there connection to me. So real quick- Jarell i met in 7th grade, we have been friends ever since, the closest thing i have or will have to a brother. Anna is a former roommate from UCSB my senior year who currently lives in Tahoe City and is working for Americorps. The Bousquet's, particularly Esther, used to take care of me when i was little and my parents were working. So there you go, that should explain enough. I have to go to sleep in this wonderful bed now. Thought of the day; tomorrow i turn 24, it's like a once in a lifetime thing. Song of the day; whyyyyy doooo fooools faaaalll in luuuuhuuuvvvv - somebody. Craving of the day; nuh-fin i am good.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Poison Oak - the corridor of fear
- They call me the Beastmaster
- Over-grown; Under-statement
- Looking to the future
- Clean to filthy in half a day
- I am getting spoiled rotten
- Good beginning,great middle,questionable ending
- Old school meets new school
- I thought i was slower than this
- Another half day
- Weakness leads to goodness
- Adios Bousquets
- On to my 25th year
- Donner party of 13, your table is ready
- Departure from the blue house
- Pictures From the Sierras
- Good food, good day
- Fast walker, fast talker
- A pack of forest fire lites please
- Worth the wait
- Pleasant day
- Kind of boring actually
- Wildflurs Erywur
- Good day for me, bad day for Max
- July 4th; a rough day to be away
- I dislike 8 day rations
- Back in the Saddle
- A rough re-entry
- A good day
- A proper zero
- Celebrate--good times
- ▼ July (32)