Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Celebrate--good times


Day 59, Mile 906.6--Welcome back to society, well, mammoth anyway. We hiked only til about 9:55 and we were already at Reds Meadow. I originally told my Dad it would be a half day for us and to expect us around noon. He planned on meeting us up there and looking around a bit etc.(anyone who knows my Dad knows what I'm talking about). Anyway the short version is we caught a shuttle bus down to the Mammoth Mtn ski area and met them there. I was very glad to see my parents and Kraig was glad to see Max(the dog my parents were watching). After a joyous and a little over the top energetic exchange between everybody, dog included, we made our way back to the condo. A cinnamon pull apart bread was waiting for us in the car, the last piece was eaten as we pulled into the driveway 15 minutes later. We sat around for a bit telling some stories and then the showers commenced. Kraig, Gina, and Max got dropped off at the campground after, and i went about making myself presentable again. One clipper attachment later and most hairs on my head and face matched in length. My Mom took a picture of me before i got in the shower, i looked like i was at the weigh-in for a bantam or fly weight fight, so small, so bad. The parentos and I then went shopping for groceries which was rough at times with so many people. Its a little bit of a sensory overload, not to mention the forced air immediately dried out my eyes and everything got blurry, which was odd. My Dad would suggest things to eat and i would just say "yes", because i wanted it all. We had a glorious dinner, and i stopped eating not when i got full(i didn't) but when it seemed logical to stop for fear of later intestinal distress. After we celebrated my Dads birthday(happy birthday Dad) and then watched my pictures and videos on the TV from the Saufleys to here. Some of the sierra pictures came out pretty good i will get them up here soon. We were up til 1230ish and i tried to write this then but i crashed. So i am writing this the following morning because i woke up at 6:20 after i "slept in". It was amazing to sleep in a bed, i don't think i moved the whole night. This whole place is comfortable actually. I am really grateful to my parents to provide all of this for me, i am sure it wasn't cheap, but i appreciate it very much. I am currently starving though, so i am going to go make a sweet breakfast(one i have been looking forward to for a while). Thought of the day; i am one lucky guy. Song of the day; this Robin Thicke song i cant remember the name but its hilarious. Craving of the day; none... what a good feeling.

JWC on the PCT

3 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

Jesse Jesse Jesse, we loved seeing you in Mammoth , and I agree with you the time was too short. I'm so glad we got to do it tho', I couldn't stand to not see you for 5 1/2 months. Even now, after just seeing you 2 days ago, October seems a long way off.
We love you lots
Love, yo momma

Unknown said...

Jesse,

This song! Oh man, I had to remind you of the wonderful lyrics. Enjoy and sing it out.

She's the kind of girl you wanna marry
The kinda girl you walk the whole earth for
Put her on your back and just carry
Her attitude is hotter than the earth's core
When she's around, nothing else matters
Untouchable, she's got her own force field
Sooner or later someone will get at her
If I don't, someone else will

(Chorus X 4)
Wanna love you, girl
Wanna love you, girl
Wanna love you, girl
Wanna love you, girl
Wanna love you,

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

She's the kinda girl you wanna marry
Scientists say that she's the second sunshine
And now my life is sweeter than berries
I guess if we have sex, our love will turn to wine
When she's around, nothing else matters
Even if the sky was at a stand still
If I turn my back, then someone will get at her
If I don't, someone else will

(Chorus X 4)

Too funny!!

Wherever you may be, I hope you have a nice 4th of July. This day we celebrate our nation's independence...
I would say let's celebrate your independence and all that you've accomplished these past months. Looking forward to seeing you!

Aunt Janie said...

Hey there Jess - I thought you might rather see this pic of your folks instead of a pic of me! (Hope it works)