Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

They call me the Beastmaster

Day 88, Mile 1478.5---So last night was a little rough. At around 3am whatever it was came back again. And then again sometime between 4am and dawn. Our second time around Will put on a stellar performance; throwing things, banging on tree's, grunting, and telling it "i am getting out of my tent now and i am really really angry!" also "i was having a dream, you woke me up as i was checking into a resort damnit!" By the third time both me and Will barely got up to an elbow and sort of let out a half hearted "bearrr...just...go". I said in the beginning of this post - whatever it was, because i could not find a single solid bear track anywhere this morning. Maybe it was just a really persistent deer who was unafraid of dogs, humans, and cavemen(Will's grunting). Anyway the rest of the day went well. Saw three deer, two of which were startled by me but then when i started talking to them, they just went about their business and did not run away. I got some decent pictures of the doe, and a video of the young buck. In between these mammalian encounters i got so bored i started going through the alphabet and matching countries to the appropriate letter. Then cities, then animals; anyone know a country or animal that starts with X? Met up with Julia and Will again towards the end of the day and we are now camped in the Ah-Di-Na campground. It is the site of an old resort of some kind and there are all types of fruit tree's throughout. The right time of year this place would be like a shang-gri-la to me. We ate some very green apples that stuck to my throat as i tried to swallow. Found a few early blackberries that were just good enough to make me really look forward to Oregon blackberry season. I think i am going to hit it right on time but we shall see. Another 25 tomorrow should put us within 5 miles of Castella and Ammirati's mini market. Ammirati's is said to have the "best selection of beer anywhere on the trail" as well as made to order burrito's and sandwiches. Our plan is to be eating a burrito and drinking a beer by 9am day after tomorrow. Ok, i am going to close out this phone book of a post now. Thought of the day; You may hate me for this, but i feel like i am going to need a vacation at the end of this trek. Song of the day; i got feet that move that groove, i got feet that move that groove, sooo i keep keep keep keep on walkin'- by Jazz 1 class of 02' - originally by someone else. Cravings of the day; Isla Vista fare - Silvergreens' western chicken sandwich, Free Birds' steak quesadilla, Blenders' the banana, Woodstocks' garlic bird pizza, and some quality beer from Isla Vista market.

JWC on the PCT

3 comments:

Mom and Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom and Dad said...

For those of you wondering about Max, Kraig and Gina’s dog, he is with the parentos. He could not handle the long miles on the trail and suffered some serious damage to his feet. Too much too soon, even for a 95 pound bruiser like Max. We have been taking care of him, bandaging his feet and giving him antibiotics. He is an amazing dog. He is so nice, well behaved, and alert, he listens to us. If you have ever put on bandages and cleaned wounds on a dog you know how difficult it can be, especially on their feet. He just lays there and lets us do everything we need with the cleaning, bandages and doctoring, never resists and never complains. He is something special. Our dog Leo is his pal and they like to play when Max is up to it. Helen our other dog also thinks he is special; she has not tried to get out of the yard once since he arrived.

Keep on keepin’ on Jesse, Love dad

Mom and Dad said...

would Xanadu qualify?