Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Off to the races

Day 90, Mile 1526.5ish---I expected to sleep in this morning but it never quite happens like that. But, we managed to get out of the campground rent free this morning which was nice. I took a poorly executed coin-operated shower and then made my way back to the market for another breakfast burrito. My meal this time around was a burrito, a liter of Gatorade, a peach, a nectarine, and a box and a quarter of Nilla wafers. It was a glorious breakfast. Later Julia picked about a quart of blackberries from behind the store and i got some of those as well. Managed to handle all my business and get back on the trail around noon-ish. We had a hell of a climb out of Castella. Right now we are somewhere around 6600ft and Castella was at 2180ft. It was a smokey day today, so much that you could look directly at the sun. So that combined with the heat made the climb fairly challenging. Upon arrival to our campsite for the night we made an unfortunate realization. The guidebook informed us that the Post Office is not open on the weekends in Etna. Will and Julia have a food box, and i have maps and Superfeet insoles at the Etna PO. We decided rather then be stuck in Etna all weekend we will try and make it there in 3 days from here. We also have to account for the 15 mile hitch into town so we are shooting for 2ish on Friday afternoon. 80 miles in 2.5ish days, here's hoping. The worst that can happen is we are stuck in Etna spending money all weekend. Last thing, i met BillyGoat(same guy from recent LAtimes article) today. He is an interesting man; engaging and intense, but fairly easy to talk to. He was on his last day before going into town. He started July 1st and hiked south from Seiad Valley to Castella, then turned north, hit his start and turned south again. He did it without ever going into town and carried 2 packs; carried one for a while then when he got tired he took it off and walked back to get the 2nd. Definitely his own brand of hiking, but when you've done as many miles as he has on the PCT you have to start switching it up i guess. I'm dozing hard, got to go. Thought of the day; this trip is teaching me things daily, and helping me change things about myself i wasn't fond of, and that's exciting. Song of the day; Evreeeeebuddy's workin forrr the weeeeekend - i have no idea. Craving of the day; the peaches, nectarines, and blackberries i had today cut up on a big bowl of Rice-Krispies with cold 2% milk. Also once again in need of a Blenders in the Grass "the banana" smoothie.

JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wORKING FOR THE WEEKEND by Loverboy (really)
Chorus:
Everybody's workin' for the weekend
Everybody wants a new romance
Everybody's goin' off the deep end
Everybody needs a second chance, Oh