Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Good day for me, bad day for Max

Day 66, Mile 997.2---Today we got a bit of a late start as we tried in vain to keep our feet dry just minutes into our day. Although the past few days have been rough for me, i am glad to say i no longer feel burned out; i hit the trail with a positive and familiar mindset once again. After a strenuous climb, drop, and climb again we ran into Squatch. He is the guy responsible for the 3 documentaries chronicling the PCT titled "Walk", "Still Walking", and "Even More Walking". He shot some footage of Max and of Gina and Kraig talking about Max. He also informed us that after Wilma Lake in about 2.5 miles the terrain got a lot more hiker friendly, but the mosquitos were bad. Squatch was right on both accounts. It flattened out considerably and it was easier to make good time and mileage. Problem was Max wasn't so inclined; his left front foot is swollen 2-3 times its regular size. He immediately falls asleep at every break, and by the end of the day he would just lay down in the middle of the trail! . This trail is hard on us as it is, and coming in 10-15lbs overweight did not help his chances. Kraig and Gina are going to take a unplanned on-trail zero tomorrow to give him some time to recuperate. Squatch should have been more emphatic about the mosquitos. At one point i was forced to throw down my pack and slather myself in DEET in the middle of a meadow as i was being bombarded. They were so thick i could see, and then was walking through the squadrons as they waited to attack. The noise was hardly bearable. In the swarms they all yelled at me (pinch your nose and read aloud) Whyyyeee? Whyyeeee? Whyeeee? Because weeee CaaAAAn! CaaAAn! CaaAAAn! The DEET mostly worked after the 2nd application; though it only kept them from landing and biting, they continued to yell and bounce of my head and face. We camped early(mileage wise) on the edge of Dorothy Lake. I took Max's pack for the last 2 miles hoping we could go farther and hit 1,000 today but this is a nice spot nontheless. Tomorrow if the terrain stays like this, and being by myself, i will try and do 25ish miles. If i keep adding a few miles here and there i can get to Echo Lake early and spend more time with Jarell and his family. I am really looking forward to seeing how much Roman has grown up since i last saw him. I did not get a confirmation email from Jarell before i left Tuolumne Meadows however, so i hope i am not getting too far ahead of myself. One last thing, i woke up at 3am this morning to find my sleeping bag even more soaked. It was a little chilly but not as bad as i thought. It only took two 15 minute layouts in the sun today during breaks and its back to normal. At mile 23 tomorrow my body will appreciate the good sleep im sure. Good sleep, sounds like a plan. Thought of the day; i don't know, just as i was trying to remember it some crazy deer(s) just knocked over my backpack and then almost ran over my tent. I hope i don't wake up to a pack harness soaked in deer saliva, they better not chew up my socks either. Hmm, maybe good sleep is unfortunately not in the plan. Song of the day; the ants go marching... you know how it goes. Craving of the day; some good carne asada, corn cake from Fl Torito, and a fruit salad comprised of just melons.Post Script; if you happened to be reading this while at work, and you still pinched your nose and read the mosquito cry aloud - you will be talked about in the lunch room, but i give you props.

JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh you are such a funny boy!