Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Departure from the blue house

Day 75, Mile 1143.5---Woke up this morning and had a hard time convincing myself i needed to get out of bed. I eventually did and within an hour or so i was ready to go. Anna and i had breakfast once again at the Firesign Cafe. Once again it was a wonderful meal. Anna drove me to the trail head and then walked about a mile with me. We said our goodbyes and i fell into my pace soon after. There were so many more ways to get back into Tahoe City after Barker Pass. It was very tempting to go back i must say. The hospitality i received, and the easy-going nature of Anna and company at the blue house made it a superb time off trail. I met up with a guy i hadn't seen since Kennedy Meadows along the trail a couple miles after leaving Anna. His name is Mr. Clean (he oil wrestled Mrs. Anderson - long story) and we walked and talked about various trail things, mostly gear. While we sat taking a break a girl comes along the trail southbound and asks us if we have seen a loud group of kids. We told her we thought we might have heard them but not seen them. She asked how to get to 5 Lakes, and then took off, but not towards the lakes. She came back about 8 minutes later still in search of kids, or lakes, or possibly a new job. She said she was a camp counselor and had one of the kids meds that he may or may not need; hopefully not. Anyway got into camp at Squaw Creek in good time. Last water for 15.5 miles is here, haven't had to carry this much since before Kennedy Meadows. It's windy up here and cold but the upside is no mosquito's. Plan on getting to Hwy 80 by 12 or so tomorrow and then call the Bousquet's to get me. Already looking forward to another hot shower, and a meal of food. Thought of the day; fruit is one of the few things that is just ready to eat as is; its so perfect. Song of the day; theeerrrr waaaas ahh bawber and wiiife, aaaand sheee was beeeeyuuuutiiifullll - Sweeney Todd he was a barber on Fleet street. Craving of the day; some more of this watermelon mint salad thing Anna made for last nights bbq dinner.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: