Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

I thought i was slower than this

Day 81, Mile 1232.7---First off it occurred to me today as i walked that i had only thanked folks from the blog and facebook for my Happy Birthday wishes. I would also like to thank those of you who sent me cards, they are very much appreciated, thank you. Today was fairly ordinary to say the most. The only thing that happened that hasn't really happened before is i got rained on in spots and after i set up camp. But it was a light drizzle mostly and it blew over quickly each time. The only repercussion is that i have the fly on the tent for the first time in quite a while and it makes it too warm to sleep well most of the time. When i got into the tent it looked like it had completely blown over but i am in the trees so i cannot see the horizon for anything incoming. Better safe than sorry i guess. Made a few more miles than i planned to but the place i intended to camp turned out to be right on a dirt road. So now i only have 3.1 miles to Quincy-La Porte road tomorrow morning. Maybe i will sleep in if i can manage it. I am not sure how Chuck and Tigger are planning to get everybody though. When we made the plan there was 5 of us, but before i left there were 4 others that had joined in. I doubt we can fit 9 hikers plus 9 packs in the minivan, but i am sure they will try. Being only 3 miles out is good though cause I'll be in the first load if they have to take two trips. Man, this is boring stuff. Sorry there is nothing exciting to write about, I'll try and work on that. One last tantalizing piece of info, my shoe surgery was a success, but now the left one is rubbing a little. Looks like it too may now be going under the knife. Thought of the day; i wonder what my music teacher from high school Mr. D'Spain is doing these days. Songs of the day; when i woke up this morning it was - girrererl would you love me if i was down, and out, would you stiiiill have loooove fo meeeeee, by 50cent i believe. This evening as i ate dinner and saw a few rainbows it was Somewhere over the Rainbow the version with the ukelele by that one famous Hawaiian singer... Don Ho? Cravings of the day; pretty much everything i ate off trail from South Lake Tahoe to the Bousquet's, especially the dessert from the AYCE buffet, the tri-tip sandwich lunch at the Bousquet's, and that spread we had at the blue house(Anna's spot) especially the cheese-burgers on toasted ciabatta and then the watermelon mint salad thing that Anna made.

JWC on the PCT-

2 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

"Over the Rainbow"
ukelele version by Bill Frisell? on "Finding Forester" soundtrack

Just keeping you posted on your "song of the day" artists!

Unknown said...

Jessum... I'll be sure to make that watermelon salad for you once again when you return to the LBC.