Day 77, a zero---Today i had eggs Benedict for breakfast. Today i went kayaking in Stampede Reservoir. Today i had tri-tip and honey roasted turkey sandwiches for lunch. Today i met a few people and told them of my travels. Today i had a wonderful spaghetti dinner. Today i had a banana split blizzard and was sung to by the Bousquet clan at DQ. Today i turned 24 years old at 702pm. Today was great. I became aware of the fact that starting today, i have one year left before i lose my flying privileges. I should explain; my Mom is a retired United Airlines flight attendant, and as such i get to fly at a reduced rate wherever United flies the friendly skies. So i started thinking, i really can't afford to not take advantage of this. Maybe i will put off growing up just a little while longer. Then again i think a job would be a nice step towards adulthood. I know what you'll say, oooh Jesse don't grow up! well i live in Long Beach, not Never-land, sorry. Alright i think this is getting out of blog territory and into journal territory. So, I definitely appreciate all the b-day wishes i received both on my blog and Facebook. It was great to check throughout the day and receive more and more. Got me geared up for the next 1,300 miles give or take. Take actually, i figured out my route around the fire north of here today and i will be missing approximately 100 miles of trail. Not too happy about that, but not much i can do about it either. Alright this has been a long and confusing post for me(prob cause i fell asleep twice), so good luck reading it. Thought of the day; time knows, time goes, it stands still, it flies, take time, make time, break time, the time is now. Song of the day; sung by Larry and Esther's granddaughters this evening - i liike to moooove it, moooove it, i liike to mooove it, mooove it, i like to......MOOOOVE IT! - from the movie Madagascar. Craving of the day; nothing, that means it was a good day.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Poison Oak - the corridor of fear
- They call me the Beastmaster
- Over-grown; Under-statement
- Looking to the future
- Clean to filthy in half a day
- I am getting spoiled rotten
- Good beginning,great middle,questionable ending
- Old school meets new school
- I thought i was slower than this
- Another half day
- Weakness leads to goodness
- Adios Bousquets
- On to my 25th year
- Donner party of 13, your table is ready
- Departure from the blue house
- Pictures From the Sierras
- Good food, good day
- Fast walker, fast talker
- A pack of forest fire lites please
- Worth the wait
- Pleasant day
- Kind of boring actually
- Wildflurs Erywur
- Good day for me, bad day for Max
- July 4th; a rough day to be away
- I dislike 8 day rations
- Back in the Saddle
- A rough re-entry
- A good day
- A proper zero
- Celebrate--good times
- ▼ July (32)