Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Kind of boring actually

Day 69, Mile 1065.1---First off, i think I've been brain washed by "Gatorade Man". All day the PCT song was not just stuck in my head, it was taking over my head. I would be in mid-thought and it would just start in out of nowhere. Even when i was thinking about writing these very words it was pushing its way into the forefront. I guess 2/3rds of a half gallon of butter pecan with a speaker right next to my head and I could be the Manchurian Candidate. Anyway today was so-so. It was an easy enough day mileage wise, both in the level of difficulty and the time it took. In fact i got into camp way too early. I tried to drag things out but i still think i am going to be asleep before the sun goes down. Not a bad thing out here i guess. That is of course if i can get out of my tent to pee first. I have been in here for about 40 minutes and what started as 3 or 4 mosquitoes bouncing off the mesh has turned into at least 50. Hopefully as it gets cooler they will find something else to annoy. I was thinking about this the other day - would using mosquitoes in soldier interrogations violate the Geneva Convention or whatever that falls under? Just have a sealed room with an intercom set up and let in about 200 mosquitoes, i know i would talk. There goes my chances at working for "the company". Mooooving on. I have been meaning to mention in the past few posts that my shoes are falling apart. While in Mammoth my parents tried to convince me to get a new pair but i wanted to get more mileage out of these. Probably should have listened, because now there is a complete separation of shoe and sole on the inside of the toe box on my right shoe. The good thing about it is the hole is big enough that most times when rocks get in they fall back out soon enough. I was planning on around 500 miles per pair, but it looks like these will be through at 390ish. I got a little lonely today. I am definitely looking forward to visiting with friends in the coming week. Alright the numbers have dwindled, I'm gonna make a mad dash - well until i have to stop at the tree and pee - but a mad dash there and back for sure. Thought of the day; people say they "have a case of the Monday's", but i would make the argument that it should be a "case of the Tuesdays". I mean Monday is the beginning, Wednesday is the middle, Thursday is good because its the day before Friday which is spectacular because it precedes the weekend. But Tuesday, Tuesday is only the reminder that you just started the work week yesterday ...ugh. Song of the day, besides the PCT song; You got a friend in me, from Toy Story, and a mish mash of James Brown songs i made into one. Craving of the day; cold glass of apple juice, those cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches from my elementary school teachers lunch-ins, some Chinese dish with duck as the main ingredient.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: