Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wildflurs Erywur






Day 68, Mile 1046.1---Not too much to say about today. The grades were not that hard for the most part, and the highest climb between data points was only 800ft if i am remembering correctly. As the title suggests, one thing that consistently caught my attention were the wildflowers. They were everywhere and plentiful, in some places solid fields of them. Most common was probably the yellow Mule Eared Daisy and the purple Lupin (Go Lakers). I only saw two other people today while i was hiking and both were going in the opposite direction. When i set up camp i saw one guy i had been leap frogging with 2 days ago go by. Then i see this guy who looks as though he is ill-prepared. Turned out to be Tatoo Joe, and Scott Williams was about 5 minutes behind him. I introduced myself and talked briefly with both of them. If you recall i wrote about meeting Tatoo Joe at the Andersons a while back. He and Scott left the Mexico border on June 8th, and here they are catching up to me less then a month later. That's 1046+ miles in 29 days, shiiit that's crazy. I assume they have some sort of support team that picks them up at every hwy crossing etc, but i don't really know. I asked both of them if they were on track to beat the record, and they both said so far so good. I wonder if right before they get to the border they start running, and which one actually crosses first for the record? Anyway this evening i built my first fire just for myself so far on the trip. It was nice to have, and gave me something to do while i waited for my dinner to finish cooking. Problem with fires is they always keep you up later then you'd like, and it did. 19 miles tomorrow, another 23ish the next day, and then I'll only have roughly 6 miles into echo lake on Thursday. Thought of the day; dirt is an excellent sun screen. Song of the day; one line out of the PCT song - " iiiim headed forrrr the borderrr and iii'l sooon be therrrrr" - all day i couldn't shake it. Craving of the day; cut up watermelon out of the fridge, frozen grapes, and lemon-lime Gatorade mixed with ice(iced?) tea. Yeah it was kind of hot and muggy today.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: