Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

July 4th; a rough day to be away

Day 65, Mile 980.2---Today was a killer day, and I'm glad it is behind me. We climbed and dropped more then 1000ft twice, some with gradients of 7.3 and -9.1. Not real fun. I woke up this morning with dew soaking my sleeping bag. It was overcast most of the day so i didn't get a chance to dry it out well. Its still a little damp as i lay in it now but hopefully my body heat will help, and it will work, otherwise it is going to be a cold night. Today was also a rough day for Max. He fell off two different logs trying to cross streams in the morning; one of which i had to pull him back up onto the log by his pack harness. He seemed appreciative afterwards. One thing he does while we walk is constantly stop and look back to check on everyone. Every time it reminds me of the scene in "No Country for Old Men" where Lewelyn is watching the pitbull limp away in his binoculars and it turns, looks, and then continues on. Speaking of dogs, i am regretfully missing the Long Beach police K-9 demonstration tonight. I think this is the 2nd year in a row i have missed the k-9 show and fireworks at Vets stadium. As i walked today i thought about how much i enjoy the whole experience even after so many years. Although you won't be reading this until well after, i highly recommend the whole sha-bangabang, so go next year. Man, my sleeping bag is not drying at all really, this could suck. Anyway Happy fourth of July to everyone. Thought of the day; all i thought about was the craving of the day. Songs of the day; heeey western yooonyun man seeend a telegram to myy bay-bay, seeend a telegram seeend a telegram whooooa send a telegraaam to myyy bay-bay- by somebody, and iiiyem prowd to beee an american wherr at least i know ahm freeee- by somebody, last name green maybe? Craving of the day; first it was pork sha-shu-bow, i do not think that is the proper spelling so good luck looking that up. Second it was the meal i missed before the family headed to the fireworks as i imagined it; bbq chicken with bbq sauce from scratch, teriyaki glazed flank steak, potato salad, regular salad with ranch, fruit salad, long beach rolls, and maybe a shrimp cocktail as well. For dessert it was my mothers' strawberry shortcake with vanilla ice cream. Whew, it hurts, it hurts real baaad.

JWC on the PCT------------------------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to disappoint you but we had Hebrew Natl hot dogs, burgers, chips and deviled eggs! We missed you Jess!

Tuyet Lam said...

You are quite an amazing creature Jesse! You definitely should win the "bravest man" award! I admit, i am seeing the sensitive side of you that i have never seen before in college and its making me go "awwwww."

So how much longer til you reach the finish line? Malcolm and i miss you immensely! We went to see Hellboy last week and i think you would have enjoyed it. We have thought of you occasionally.

That is so awesome that you brought Max on the trail w/ you! I was thinking about the book, "Old Yeller" even though i haven't read it myself teeheeeee. Get back soon b/c i have questions to ask you regarding Spanky. Yes, he is still alive and going on 17 next weekend!

Anyways, i hope you both well as you continue on w/ your journey. Don't hesitate to let Mal and I know if you need anything.. ride, equipments, DRY sleeping bag, food, etc. Take care buddy and see you soon!

HAPPY 24th!

<3,
Tuyet