Day 73, Mile 1126.5---Started walking around 7:30 and by 12:45 i was at Barker Pass. I utilized the i-pod for a while and listened to Kat Williams' stand-up "the pimp chronicles". Unfortunately i only made it half way through before the battery ran out, but that half was damn funny. I planned to meet Anna somewhere on Barker Pass road so i started walking down towards Hwy 89 after a snack break. I didn't have to walk far at all and there she was with two other girls all with at least one arm waving out the car windows. She had a sandwich and some fruit and Kerns nectar juice waiting in the car for me, perfect. The rest of the day went to hanging out at the house talking and catching up. I got to enjoy an amazing pasta dinner cooked by Christine (Anna's roommate). I had considered going out to eat but i am really not sure i would have found something as good anywhere else. Also enjoyed a pecan pie made by Anna which was delicious. I didn't know i liked pecan pie but it is official, i do. After dinner we went to a friend of a friends house for a "keg-er". I wasn't sure if i was ready for all that, but it turned out to be a small group of folks and we played games and talked way past hiker midnight. The keg was a really good beer , Longboard Ale if i remember correctly. The game was called celebrities, it was very simple with not a lot of moving parts and a lot of fun. Stayed up real late and crashed hard in a great bed, as such I'm writing this the following morning. Time to go do a little laundry and eat a giant breakfast. Thought of the day; almost half way there... wierd. Song of the day; dmx-" flesh of my flesh, blood of my blooooooood." Craving of the day; the breakfast i am about to have today i was craving yesterday, and i'm not even sure what it is yet, but it will be good.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Poison Oak - the corridor of fear
- They call me the Beastmaster
- Over-grown; Under-statement
- Looking to the future
- Clean to filthy in half a day
- I am getting spoiled rotten
- Good beginning,great middle,questionable ending
- Old school meets new school
- I thought i was slower than this
- Another half day
- Weakness leads to goodness
- Adios Bousquets
- On to my 25th year
- Donner party of 13, your table is ready
- Departure from the blue house
- Pictures From the Sierras
- Good food, good day
- Fast walker, fast talker
- A pack of forest fire lites please
- Worth the wait
- Pleasant day
- Kind of boring actually
- Wildflurs Erywur
- Good day for me, bad day for Max
- July 4th; a rough day to be away
- I dislike 8 day rations
- Back in the Saddle
- A rough re-entry
- A good day
- A proper zero
- Celebrate--good times
- ▼ July (32)