Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A rough re-entry


Day 62, Mile 922.8 - This morning i took my last shower for a while and packed up. Said so long to the awesome condo, and comfy bed. I forgot to mention previously that the Snowcreek condo my dad rented out just happened to be owned by a family from Long Beach. I knew it felt right, just like home. Anyway i had breakfast with my parents and then we all rode the shuttle up to Reds meadow. They walked with me all the way to the trail and then we said our goodbye's. It was a tough one for me, i couldn't really say anything cause i was choked up. I managed a "love you" after i had started down the trail. I am going to miss those folks. After that i hadn't gone 10 minutes and i made a wrong turn. I realized about half way down the other trail, that it was only headed to Rainbow Falls. Instead of just turning around i ended up talking with a woman along the way and rationalizing my current course. I decided that maybe my parents would be there as they were talking about going there when i left. I wanted to thank them for everything they did for me this weekend, and i hoped i could get it out if i got a round 2. They weren't there though and i turned around knowing i should have just gone back as soon as i realized my mistake originally. The rest of the day seemed lonely. I met a girl named "wildchild" when i finally got back on track. I walked with her for a while but i needed to make more miles then she did so i lost her eventually. Kraig and Gina are ahead of me by 2 days, so i got to get used to hiking alone again. Alright this is the third time I've woke up now, i didn't get enough sleep the last few days and after today's mistake i didn't stop hiking til 830 and i am still 2 miles short of my goal and its late. The Yogi book says this was a bad bear area in 2006, i hope they leave me alone, cause i need this sleep. Thought of the day; God is love. Song of the day; don't remember. Craving of the day; good granola with mango and blueberries on it.

JWC on the PCT

6 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

Jesse - We decided not to go to Rainbow Falls because it was so late. But we will go back today if you still want to meet us there. No need for more thanks anyway, I knew how you felt when we hugged goodbye and your Camelback squirted water all over me.

Love Dad

Mom and Dad said...

Oh Jesse, you don't know how that killed me to read that you had actually gone to Rainbow Falls, hoping to see us! I know it started out with a wrong turn, but how i wished we had been there when you arrived. And no worries, you never fall short in the gratitude department. And all the Mothers out there know the feeling; it's hard to read your kid is feeling "lonely"
Love you Jesse boy Love, mom

Mom and Dad said...

P.S. Hope you see some fireworks out there, if not some shooting stars! We'll be watching the K-9's for you tonight.

ark said...

Jesse...You are learning the most important lesson of all. God's highest and deepest desire for us is to know that relationships...
with God and with other people...are supremely precious.
The most important things in life
are "faith, hope, and love...and the greatest of these is love." So many in the world never know what it means to love and be loved. You are indeed gaining weight in the soul department. And I love the balance you are seeing between the urban and the comfortable and the wilderness and the not so comfortable. It is an incredible gift to be able to be "content in all things, whether abased or abounding." One last thought...a man who I greatly esteem was put in prison for his faith. They tried to break him with deprivation and beatings and starvation and solitary confinement. It just made him stronger. But when they put him in a soft and comfy bed, and gave him clean clothes and a bubble bath and incredible food to eat, he nearly gave in. He didn't. But the temptation was very powerful. Love as always....Andrea

Aunt Janie said...

Hey Jess it sounds like you had a great reunion and R&R. You never did tell me if I could meet you somewhere so if you think of a spot, do let me know!

Aunt Janie said...

Taken just for you! K-9's at the fireworks, 2008.