Day 71, Mile 1094.5---With the proper motivation Icebag and i did the 10 miles to echo lake in great time. We both got milkshakes on arrival and later i got a sandwich and an apple. All of which was exactly right, although i did feel beyond full when i finished the sandwich and apple and liter of water. Called home and got to recap everything within the limits of my dads lunch hour and the conference call style with the parentos. Spent the rest of the day waiting for Jarell to come up the mountain. I actually enjoyed myself in waiting and the particular group of hikers present was the reason i think. Well, and the fact that i was just sitting and didn't have any pressing matters at all definitely helped. Oh, and the free beers from a fellow Long Beachan. I met him today . He was a section hiker and was spending a day or two at Echo Lake before returning to the best city i know. Jarell and family arrived around 5:30 and Danyele said i looked like i was off the A&E show "Intervention". We cruised around south Lake Tahoe and finally found a room at the holiday inn express. The all-you-can-eat buffet soon followed at Harrah's. It was a grrrreat buffet. I didn't eat as much as i thought i could, or would, but i definitely got what i needed. Later that night Jarell and i decided to walk around and let all that food settle. We went back to Harrahs and Harveys , got a beer and walked the casinos. The cougars were on the loose, and not the type i expect to see on this trip. It was interesting to be thrust back into "civilization" especially into the casino type atmosphere. There was also a celebrity/pro athlete golf tournament hosted at Harrahs so we stood and watched people watch other people who they deem to be more watchable then others. Charles Barkley chugged Patron after pouring shots for people at the edge of the stage. Me and Jarell were wearing matching shirts from his gym that said "commit to get fit!" so we got a fair amount of looks too. Although i don't know that i look fit, possibly for a female runway model, calves are staying strong and that's about it. Looking forward to tomorrows breakfast already, not looking forward to leaving Jarell, Danyele, and the boys so soon. Thought of the day; i don't know - all memory was erased in my second helping of bread pudding and caramelized banana's on soft serve vanilla. Song of the day; i can't remember either but it was by The Game i think. Craving of the day; by the end of the night none whatsoever.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Poison Oak - the corridor of fear
- They call me the Beastmaster
- Over-grown; Under-statement
- Looking to the future
- Clean to filthy in half a day
- I am getting spoiled rotten
- Good beginning,great middle,questionable ending
- Old school meets new school
- I thought i was slower than this
- Another half day
- Weakness leads to goodness
- Adios Bousquets
- On to my 25th year
- Donner party of 13, your table is ready
- Departure from the blue house
- Pictures From the Sierras
- Good food, good day
- Fast walker, fast talker
- A pack of forest fire lites please
- Worth the wait
- Pleasant day
- Kind of boring actually
- Wildflurs Erywur
- Good day for me, bad day for Max
- July 4th; a rough day to be away
- I dislike 8 day rations
- Back in the Saddle
- A rough re-entry
- A good day
- A proper zero
- Celebrate--good times
- ▼ July (32)