Day 78, Mile 1174.7---This morning i was treated to another wonderful breakfast prepared by Esther, it was so very tasty. The majority of the morning was spent getting all my stuff packed and boxed and ready to go. Larry and Esther drove me first to the PO and then to the trail, got going about 12:15. Once again it was hard to leave. At least at the last two stops i had the next one to look forward to just a day and a half away. This time i won't see family or friends until the Oregon/Washington border. I was about 5 miles in when i wished i could just go on auto-pilot for the next month or so. I know this doesn't sound very much in the spirit of adventure but so far the best times on the trail have been meeting family and friends along the way. The Bousquet household falls squarely in that category of "best times". I had a great time there, and i couldn't have asked for a better place to spend my birthday. The rest of the day went well up until it got dark. I turned on my headlamp and the "high" setting output was weaker then the normal "low" output. I changed the batteries at the Bousquet's, and noticed it looked weaker but i attributed this to the fact that i was testing it in the day time and therefore it just appeared weaker. I have been using the high setting for this whole blog post and i can barely see the screen(i usually use it on low). It's also a little bit disconcerting just cause its my only light source. It sucks right now because i am camped too close to a road and someone has their car parked near with the radio blasting. Hopefully its not some whacko, i can illuminate the attack with about one lumen at best. It just got dimmer, grrreat, yeah so lets say 1/2 that then. Alright i am going to attempt sleep. Thought of the day; you have to leave one place to arrive at another. Songs of the day; Changes by Tupac, and the one that goes each morning i waaayke up, beforrrr i pudawn my makeup, i saaayy a little prare forrr youuuu, by someone. Craving of the day; more cantaloupe and watermelon.Post Script; Esther gave me about a dozen cookies to take on the trail and i had zero left by 6ish.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Poison Oak - the corridor of fear
- They call me the Beastmaster
- Over-grown; Under-statement
- Looking to the future
- Clean to filthy in half a day
- I am getting spoiled rotten
- Good beginning,great middle,questionable ending
- Old school meets new school
- I thought i was slower than this
- Another half day
- Weakness leads to goodness
- Adios Bousquets
- On to my 25th year
- Donner party of 13, your table is ready
- Departure from the blue house
- Pictures From the Sierras
- Good food, good day
- Fast walker, fast talker
- A pack of forest fire lites please
- Worth the wait
- Pleasant day
- Kind of boring actually
- Wildflurs Erywur
- Good day for me, bad day for Max
- July 4th; a rough day to be away
- I dislike 8 day rations
- Back in the Saddle
- A rough re-entry
- A good day
- A proper zero
- Celebrate--good times
- ▼ July (32)