Day 79, Mile 1197.6---Today was so-so at best until the end. It was my right shoe mainly that lent to the so-so-ness. In the store when i tried them on they were the best shoes i have tried on so far on the trail. But yesterday the pain started, and i just hoped it would go away. The shoe rubs under my ankle on the outside protrudence on what feels like a nerve or something. Every step that wasn't just right felt like i was walking on a broken ankle. I took 2 IB's at noon and it helped til about 3ish and then the pain was back. Every time a plane went over i wished i was on it, a boat on the reservoir i wished i was on it, anywhere but on the trail with this busted ankle feeling. So by the end of the day i had decided that a) i needed to alter/fix my right shoe, b) i needed new AAA batteries, c) i needed a cold drink, d) i needed to find out about the fire closures, and this all means i needed to get into town. I got into Sierra City around 6:30ish. There were already a bunch of hikers sitting in front of the general store. All of them i already knew except one. I got most of the stuff i needed and decided to spend the night at a local campground with Chuck Norris and Tigger and the rest of the hikers. I enjoyed 3 bologna and cheese on a bagel sandwiches, a peach, and two Full Sail pale ales for dinner. Later we all decided to go down to the local bar for a while. Aaaand we just got kicked out of the bar 20 minutes ago, because a 19 year old hiker decided to tell the bar owner that he was actually 19. Great evening though for a mediocre day. Now everyone is sitting around and talking trail talk - timing, finish dates, fire business etc. Looks as if i will have to leave mid-day tomorrow otherwise i will get to Quincy too early and the bus to Chester only runs on weekdays. That's confusing i realize, I'll explain more tomorrow. Thought of the day; physical pain is temporary, otherwise we wouldn't need a word for it. Song of the day; Candy Girl by Michael Jackson, Do Re Mi by Harry Connick Jr. Craving of the day; a large cold drink, a nice chair, and good stimulating conversation.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Poison Oak - the corridor of fear
- They call me the Beastmaster
- Over-grown; Under-statement
- Looking to the future
- Clean to filthy in half a day
- I am getting spoiled rotten
- Good beginning,great middle,questionable ending
- Old school meets new school
- I thought i was slower than this
- Another half day
- Weakness leads to goodness
- Adios Bousquets
- On to my 25th year
- Donner party of 13, your table is ready
- Departure from the blue house
- Pictures From the Sierras
- Good food, good day
- Fast walker, fast talker
- A pack of forest fire lites please
- Worth the wait
- Pleasant day
- Kind of boring actually
- Wildflurs Erywur
- Good day for me, bad day for Max
- July 4th; a rough day to be away
- I dislike 8 day rations
- Back in the Saddle
- A rough re-entry
- A good day
- A proper zero
- Celebrate--good times
- ▼ July (32)