Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Skip, Skip,Skip to my lou



Day 94, a zero and a skip---Last night was almost a hike ender and also the best nights sleep i have had in awhile. I chose a top bunk at the Hiker Hut, i awoke shortly after going to sleep with half my body heading over into the abyss. I reminded myself how humans sleep off the ground in most circumstances and in some cases 6ft or more, the rest of the night was without incident. I had dreams i was sleeping on a mattress and i was, so it was good. Anyway this morning i got a mini breakfast at the hiker hut out of the communal fridge, and then a second at Bobs Ranch House. Afterwards we negotiated a ride to Seiad Vally with some Brazilians working for an NGO based in Etna. I had one hour to pack my boxes, buy a resupply, get my pack re-organized, and then walk the mile back from the Hiker Hut to CCTG(the ngo). I was 20 minutes late but luckily they were about 25 minutes late. It was an interesting ride with myself, Slick B, Don't Panic, and Icebag all crammed into the back seat of a mini-van. There were 4 Brazilian girls and one Brazilian guy who drove us in the van as well. At one point with the girls talking in Portuguese and Brazilian music playing i felt i was in a shared ride or group taxi in Rio. The landscape was so distinctly American west though that i quickly came back to reality. Unfortunately they only could get us as far as a mile outside Klamath River before time issues forced them to turn around. We then walked to a store picking blackberries along the way and got a hitch out of there 15 more miles to Seiad Valley. That is where i am now. I am lying in the middle of an RV park with a small cheap white picket fence around me and hay on the ground; a" hiker pen" of sorts. If you didn't know, Seiad is home of the Pancake Challenge; 5 - 1lb pancakes in 2 hrs and it's free. I chose to order just 2 of the "regular" pancakes. They were at least 12inches across and pretty hefty, i barely ate half. Also we got fresh blackberry shakes. When i say fresh i mean we walked out next to the cafe, picked about a cup each and then they made our shakes for us. It was great. Just finished off the night watching Running Man on our TV in the pen here with a screen about the size of the pancakes. Movie's from the 80's astound me at times. What has changed so much that a movie like this was acceptable back then, but now i watch it and find it completely ridiculous if even mildly entertaining. OK, this is a ridiculously long and less then mildly entertaining post i am sure. Hiking out tomorrow morning after a breakfast at the cafe, sans pancakes. 4,800 ft in elevation in 8 miles here i come; on the way to the Oregon border and Ashland. Not too long now and i will be with family again, Oregonian familia - I'm on my way! Thought of the day; i need to go to Brazil in the near future. Song of the day; don't recall. Craving of the day; a really good doughnut.

JWC on the PCT

2 comments:

ark said...

Jesse...At the risk of repeating myself, I just have to say how much I love your sense of humor and your witty wacky way of looking at life and people. Looking so forward to seeing your face in a few weeks. Love....Andrea

Anonymous said...

Ok well that makes me feel really old when you think a movie made in the 80's is "old"...!
:)