Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Welcome to Oregon, it's raining


Day 98, Mile 1726.6---Last night i fell asleep gazing at the stars. Later i awoke to clouds and wind. This morning i woke up to rain drops. It lasted only about 25 minutes, but it was enough to get us up and moving to pack up quickly. By the time we had taken shelter under a tree and eaten breakfast (granola bars and cache soda's at 6:30am) the rain had all but stopped. The rest of the morning not a single drop fell on us as the storm moved north and we hiked due east towards Ashland. After a hitch and a bus ride we arrived in Ashland, the shang-ri-lah of the trail. More things available here then most anywhere else along the trail. I was so caught up in it all that i completely screwed up. I was supposed to call mí madre before anything else to check in and to see about a place to stay. I instead checked myself into a hostel along with Icebag and Don't Panic, went shopping for a fuel canister, ate a sandwich and some ice cream, and then called home. I soon found out that i did in fact have a wonderful place to stay that she lined up for me at her friends house. I felt horrible, i should have known better, i should have remembered. It felt like my first big screw-up of the trip. Anyway, i think we might try and get one nights worth of our money back, and it seems that it will work out either way, i just still feel bad. After that i went to drink my sorrows away(not really) at the Irish Pub with the guys. Later we went to eat sushi and after being asked if we had reservations(bad sign) we were shocked by the prices and left to find other cuisine. Indian food was the answer and it was very good. Ice cream was had after that; a lot of ice cream/gellato for me. We sat in the ice cream shop for a couple hours and during that time i had 2 cones and 1 cup to make a total of 4 servings for the day. The banana gelatto was insanely good and it kept me coming back. We are now back at the hostel which is sweltering hot. This place is run by "jumping jeffrey" a "ghostly, comedic, soft-shoe dancer, with secret powers". Look him up http://www.jumpingjeffery.net/ - i am not making this up. Plans for tomorrow include laundry, re-supply, cheap sushi somewhere, and a move to the digs my mom set up for me (us). Thought of the day; i think my Dad has been right all along when he says Oregon girls are the prettiest. There are so many cute girls here in Ashland i feel like my standards must be out of whack or something - could be trail goggles. Song of the day; oh i wiiish they all could beeee californyaaaa girrrls, by brian wilson. Also Thriller by Michael (what the hell is wrong with him but damn he was good way back when) Jackson. Craving of the day; about 5 loaves of this onion bread my sandwich was on, i might go back tomorrow and see if i can work a deal somehow some way.

JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Mom and Dad said...

Hey Jesse, I went to jumpin' jeffreys web site and it's 16 photos of Costa Rica! So i don't really know what that's about?!

Love you ,miss you, no worries about missing Chuck and Julies place the first night. Don't feel bad, and you didn't screw up, it all turned out for the best, altho' now that you're at Chuck and Julies, i think it's gonna be real hard to leave!

Can't wait till the end of Sept!!
Love, yo'momma