Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Tired, hungry, sore, but on time

Day 92, Mile 1592.3ish---Another loooong day. Today was a bit tougher than yesterday. Lots of ups and downs, usually steep both ways. Walked most of the day by myself and i got to use that time to think about what is next for me. One thing i realized is that i constantly think - man when am i going to start "real life". Wife, career, family, house, etc. and not necessarily in that order. But today i decided whenever, wherever, however, it will all come around and into place. I need to stop thinking - what am i going to do with my life? And start thinking - what am i going to do with tomorrow? Actually tomorrow i am going to starve until i get into town, that's what I'm going to do. I cut it way too close on the rations even with doing this leg fast. Luckily Julia and Will had extra food and gave me a "Mealpack" fruit and nut bar that's 400 calories. I am going to have to make it last 14 miles roughly, but it shouldn't be too bad. Anyway one last thing that i have been meaning to write about since probably early July is my coordination. I feel like all i can do is walk/hike now. I don't think i could throw a ball, a punch, or serve a tennis ball right now. I threw a rock today at a tree just to test myself. It basically went directly into the ground a foot in front of me, pitiful. When i get home i am going to have to re-learn anything that doesn't involve walking 20+ miles a day with weight on my back; that would be most everything. Anyway so i am on time for Etna, now i just have to hope for a hitch as soon as i get to the road. There was a sign on the trail today that said there is another fire closure starting at Etna. Hopefully i can figure it all out before Saturday afternoon so i can get out of dodge before i have to pay for another night. As is the pattern the last few nights I'm falling off a cliff to sleep every 2 min. So I've got to knock out. Thought of the day; when i get home i am having a big yard sale to sell as much of my stuff as i can then use that money to travel Song of the day;I don't practice santaria iyye ain't got no crystal ball, but if i had a million dollars then I'd, I'd spend it aaaalll - somebody. Craving of the day; a salad i had at Esther's - mixed greens, strawberries, craisins, walnuts, blue cheese crumbles with a rasberry vinegarette. Also fried chicken and biscuits would be nice.

JWC on the PCT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. 1,592 miles. That's a fair amount of walking. Your re-entry into the real world is probably going to be tough - but that is a small price to pay for the adventures you're experiencing. Keep on truckin' and keep on providing us with your interesting posts, Jesse -I enjoy getting a glimpse into your journey!

ark said...

Jesse...One of my dearest friends...Clara by name...who died in excellent shape at 95...used to say this to me all the time: yesterday is gone...tomorrow isn't here yet...the only thing you have right now is today...there won't be another day like it...so don't miss today by dwelling on yesterday and tomorrow. Words to live by! Doesn't mean we don't think long-term and make wise plans for the future. It just means we don't worry and ruin the unique beauty of today. Love as always.............Andrea

Lindsay said...

i think if we played tennis as soon as you get back i now may have a chance of beating you