Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Just happy to be here and going there

Day 116, Mile 2115.8---Woke up dry for the first time in the last couple mornings. Would have slept through the night solid but there was a lot of other campers nearby and they were not really on a hiker schedule, or sober. But it was still good to be dry. On the way today i went by a pull-up bar thing at a trailhead. Managed 5 deadhang pull-ups with my pack on, 4 of which are on camera for proof. Good to know i haven't completely turned into a T-Rex. Made it to Timberline by 2:30 - OK sidebar as i am writing this i think i hear it starting to rain and to listen better i turn my headlamp off, what the hell? Anyway so I got to Timberline and went to get my package and the lady couldn't find it on the list. Called the parentos and my Mom mixed up the days and it would not be arriving until tomorrow. She felt really bad, but honestly for 2,107 miles something was bound to go a little awry somewhere. No biggie though, i had packed extra food for some reason, plus there was an amazing hiker box (spot where hikers discard extra food they don't need) and i got even more stuff from there. Actually i think i ended up with too much again. Saw Icebag on the steps to the lodge with his friend Neil who came out to hike with him. Neil was wearing an oxford blue button up with the sleeves rolled up neatly; a pack on his back and a camelback on his front. He looked ready, yet not. I told Icebag my story and he told me his and we figured out where we went astray. He was injured a bit, and Neil was green so to speak so we agreed I would probably meet them again sometime tomorrow on trail. Myself, Paranoia, The Belgian Waffles, and Hoffa all went to have pizza at The Blue Ox. I enter the bar and three different people say "are you Jesse? "- yes - Heyyyy Jesssayyy! What is this Cheers or something? One guy told me to call home. I figured the parentos were still worried about me not having enough to eat. They were. I made it clear that i would be just fine, and then my Dad offered that since there was some weather coming in maybe i would like to stay at the lodge. I declined with the intention of going 8 more miles to a cabin/hut right off trail with Hoffa and Paranoia. It was really good pizza and I easily finished half a large and a big green salad. With a full stomach we took off only to talk with at least 3 groups of folks on the way out. Everyone seems to like the idea of walking from border to border and want to know all the same things about it. I personally never get tired of talking to people about it and watching the various reactions to the same one liner etc. Walked and talked with Hoffa who is a pretty cool guy from what i can tell in 8 miles. We however did not make it to the shelter. By the time we got to the river we needed to cross in order to reach the shelter just 0.3mi beyond, it was very dark. So now we are just camped on the side of the river hoping that the rain decides to pass by in the night. All these nights of poor sleep are starting to rack up and i am beat. Looking forward to falling asleep in the middle of the day in cotton clothes on a couch while reading a magazine in the very near future. The day dreams of a thru-hiker. Thought of the day; what is it with the ladies and this beard? Song of the day; What Makes the Red Man Red - Peter Pan. Cravings of the day; a fruit salad, and breakfast foods for the most part.


JWC on the PCT

No comments: