Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Clutch went out on the J-train

Day 117, Mile 2136.9---Last night i couldn't really get to the right temperature for good sleep. It rained most of the night and when it wasn't coming down there was just a heavy mist in the air. Got a fair amount of condensation on my bag, but so far tonight it seems to be doing it's job. The first half of the day was spent in the cloud, the second half proved to be better. Actually got some sun in brief moments here and there. My right foot has been giving me a little trouble since the near hypothermic day. I think i must have pulled a muscle because it got too cold or something. Today it was the worst it has been but still manageable. I am not sure if it was that or something else but i could not get in gear today. I felt no power, no energy, no response in my legs. I don't know what the deal is but these next few days with food, family, and rest ought to work it out. I have just 14 or so miles to do tomorrow and i will finally be there. It cannot come soon enough. This afternoon I had the best huckleberries yet. There were about 5 bushes that all produced big dark berries in the same spot. The odd part was on either side were other huckleberries that just were not on their level. Icebag, Neil, Iceman, Super & Visor all ate from that same patch as well and agreed. The flavors were complex and the seeds when I bit into one tasted like the watermelon chapstick my high school sweetheart used to wear, weird. Alright it's getting pretty cold now, need to zip up. Thought of the day; the heart beats, the brain humms, and the butt toots along - yeah i don't know. Song of the day; iiii wish i haaddd jesse's girrrl, where can i find me a woman like that, like jesseee's girrrl duh duh duuh dah - by some envious singer. Craving of the day; Trader Joe's almond butter and Mrs. Hietmans' apple butter on a croissant.Post Script; i am aware that trains don't have clutches, but j-bus or j-car didn't sound right.


JWC on the PCT

No comments: