Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lunch in Oregon

Day 97, Mile 1714.9I ---made it through California!! It was a great feeling today to straddle the border between the two states and know that for the most part i had walked here. We had a big day today and still had time to spare at the end. The day was mostly uneventful until the end. Around 6:45ish we came upon a cache set up by former thru-hikers. It had soda in one cooler, and beer in the other. We decided that we had walked far enough at this point and would like to take full advantage of the freshly stocked cache. A guy named Sundown whom we met in the "hiker pen" came up shortly after we had arrived. He said he intended to go on and get closer to Ashland so he could get in and out in one day. When he found out there was beer his plans changed, and after a few more he decided just to camp nearby as we did. Saw another bear today. Well sort of, more like i saw a blur of back fur as it threw itself down the side of a mountain in its attempt to flee the dangerous hikers. That makes number 6, and as far as i can tell that is one of the highest numbers of sightings on the trail. It is kind of strange to be in Oregon finally. I actually wanted to quit most of the morning and i don't know why. I think my body is just tired actually, so another good nights sleep like last night and i will be back to normal I'm sure. Oh yeah and the cankles are no more. Hallelujah. Thought of the day; i think i am going to go way outside my comfort zone when i utilize my travel benefits, and after my first destination of Dubai, I am just going to go to the airport and pick a destination off the departing flights screen and then go. Song of the day; baaaack in the dayyy when i was a kid I'm not a kid anymorrr, but somedays i sit and wish i was a kid again - by someone who used to be a kid... back in the day. Craving of the day; rolls and fruit salad

JWC on the PCT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess, that had to feel great reaching Oregon! Congrats! Very cool!

Unknown said...

You are one lucky dawg to just arrive at an airport and choose some exciting destination for adventure and travel! Great thought of the day.