Day 119, a zero---Last night i slept great. This morning i had two breakfasts, also great. My cousin Berti drove me over to Clackamas shopping center to make an REI trip. Got everything i needed, nothing less, nothing more, i hope. This afternoon my Grandma drove over and picked me up. We spent a few hours talking about the trip and other topics until it was dinner time. We met up with most of the rest of my Dad's side of the family at a chinese restaurant. I haven't had chinese the entire trip so i was excited. My plate arrived and it was all the same color and all fried. I think i was a little too hungry when we ordered so i just said double my cousin John's order. It was good though and i ate pretty much the entire plate. It was great to see everyone and get to talk with them. Found out my cousin Jeff and possibly my Aunt Andrea are planning to walk across the Bridge of the Gods with me and hike some which is pretty cool. On the way home i rode with my Aunt Andrea. I held 1 dozen wonderful fluffy, moist, glorious rolls on my lap the entire ride. I was in love. Then it got better, the rolls had a cute friend; a freshly made peach tart with a raspberry sauce. It was fantastic. I had 2 rolls which limited my tart consumption but it was all sooo good. Aunt Andrea even brought organic butter for the rolls. Amazing! I showed my pictures from the last 2 weeks and we all talked and laughed. I have used these folks faces, this food, these rolls, as motivation for a very long time. Thank you family for taking the time in the very middle of the week to come and see me, i really appreciated it. Now i lay here once again in a nice soft bed. Time to close my eyes and make tonight into memories that will motivate me for the next 500+ miles to Canada. Thought of the day; challenge yourself to know yourself - thought both ways. Song of the day; duh dah duh sheees my little laayday, that's a hard one. Craving of the day; got everything i needed.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- I am a procrastinator
- Hello Chartier's
- Made it thru Oregon
- Clutch went out on the J-train
- Just happy to be here and going there
- Huckleberry Heaven
- let the sun shine in
- Whoops, i did it again
- Trail Angels
- a taste of the good life
- timing is everything
- Que terrible'
- today sucketh the mosteth
- alternative lifestyle
- Back on track
- all roads lead to rome
- ask and ye shall receive
- no reception, no exception
- sans title
- Sam & Rachel; trail angels extrordinaire
- hmm...........this could be interesting
- jumping jeffery to jumping jesse
- Welcome to Oregon, it's raining
- Lunch in Oregon
- Out of the state of jefferson
- Food + fun + relaxing = a zero
- Skip, Skip,Skip to my lou
- It's Etna Daaaaawling
- Tired, hungry, sore, but on time
- The longest Day
- Off to the races
- ▼ August (33)