Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Saturday, August 2, 2008

It's Etna Daaaaawling

Day 93, Mile 1606.5---I got on trail this morning by 5:55. I tried to wait as long as i could before "breakfast", but i didn't last that long at all. I did manage however to stretch that bar over the entire 13ish miles. I arrived at the road around 11:30 and after finally starting to walk down the road into Etna i got a hitch. I was lucky actually, Will and Julia got one right away 30 minutes earlier, and i waited maybe 20 minutes, but others waited over 3 hours i heard later. Got into town and went straight to the grocery store. I got a pack of English muffins, 1 peach, 1 banana, a SoBe elixir, and a thing of "cooked pork". It was in one of those warming things you know how smaller stores have the various meats already done, like "cooked pork" for instance. I made and ate 5 sandwiches and they were delicious. Made the Post Office with time to spare and picked up my boxes. Checked into the Hiker Hut after that and had Internet time, showered, and got laundry going. I think i may have pushed a little too far and gone into some catabolisis from the last few days. In the shower my shoulders and arms got tired and had a sort of lactic burn just while i was washing my hair. Also i checked the scale and i am don to 146ish, yay. I got some calories back in though and i have more headed my way tomorrow as well. Later i headed to the old fashioned soda fountain for some ice cream and back to the store for some yogurt, another peach, and a banana. Etna is a small place to put it mildly. But that's how i like it seeing as i am walking or biking everywhere i go. Met up with Icebag, Don't Panic and Slick B in front of the drug store and we decided to hit up the Etna Brewery for dinner. It was pretty good food but i didn't get dessert(everything was chocolate) which was disappointing. I think i will have pie with my breakfast at Bobs Ranch House restaurant tomorrow morning to make up for it. As far as heading north goes i am still not quite sure. New fires, same closure. Trying to figure out where and how and when after breakfast tomorrow. Alright it is too late to still have my eyes open. Thought of the day; if i fell off this cliff right here and got an open head wound with a skull fracture on the right side of my head ,which functions would be impaired? Like if i tried to save myself and went to drink water and then couldn't swallow would i still have a gag reflex or would i survive the fall, and then they find me dead having drowned on the side of a talus field? Song of the day; Made it thruuu the wilderness yaaah i made it thruuu the night...i think those are some of the words to Madonna's "Like a Virgin". Craving of the day; protein and doughnuts.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: