Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Out of the state of jefferson

Day 96, Mile 1687.0---Packed up this morning in the hiker pen and cleaned up a bit. Got back on trail by 8:20ish. We stopped more then once to eat blackberries on the way. I had one this morning that was the best blackberry i have ever tasted in my entire life; it made me not want to leave. The 4500ft climb proved not to be as terrible as i had thought. It was actually my stomach that made it a little difficult. Actually i should be more accurate; it was the oatmeal i found in the hiker box this morning now inside my stomach that was causing the trouble. Maybe it was old or had molded or something but it made my stomach blow up like a balloon. Anyway that eventually subsided 3/4 of the way through the climb so it was all good. The rest of the day was spent hiking, talking, and eating as usual. Tomorrow we hit the border. It's strange to know there is less than 1,000 miles of trail left. At 20 miles a day that's less than 50 days to go, and i plan to do it faster. I would like to blab on about things, but i am exhausted. It is amazing what 2.5 days off trail does. Your body says finally i am finished, and then nooope you're back at it. That's what ibuprofen and sleep are for, and i already have one accomplished. Goodnight. Thought of the day; i really like that i am a godfather, it is cool to be "Uncle Jesse". Song of the day; i got my miiiind set on you, iii got my miiiiind set onnn you - George somebody. Craving of the day; high quality fresh food, i am getting tired of americana cafe/ greasy spoon type places and giant portions (although i crave this as well most of the time)

JWC on the PCT

2 comments:

DANYELIA said...

and we love you being the godfather =) congrats on making it out of cali!!!!! can't wait to see ya

Anonymous said...

Mr. George Harrison of Beatles fame:
I got my mind set on you
I got my mind set on you
I got my mind set on you
I got my mind set on you

But it's gonna take money
A whole lotta spending money
It's gonne take plenty of money
To do it right child

It's gonna take time
A whole lot of precious time
It's gonna take patience and time, ummm
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it
To do it right child