Day 142, Mile 2574.1---We made good time this morning and got to the bus stop by 11:45ish. It was a slightly strange feeling when the bus pulled up with Don't Panic and Nick on board headed back out. Strange because it was a real goodbye this time. Odd to see Don't Panic whom I've spent time with here and there and shared experiences with, take off for the end, the finish. But that feeling quickly dissipated as i started to dream of the bakery that seemed so close now. The bus stopped just long enough for everyone to buy an item or two. I bought a day-old cinnamon roll and a bacon & swiss croissant; both were delicious. We decided to get a room at the Lodge and proceeded to do the usual town stuff. I got my last box today from the parentos. Received my passport, Canadian entry papers, Jack Daniels, and cigar; all the essentials to cross the border in style. Also the same food that i've been eating for the entire state of Washington. I'm not complaining, but if i see any sort of snack cracker mix when i get home i may vomit spontaneously. Speaking of food, we had a wonderful dinner this evening at the lodge restaurant. I had beef medallions in a mushroom demi-glaze. I couldn't finish it. I think my body is starting to finally adapt to this way of life. While the hunger is still there, once i start eating the appetite sometimes fails me. I've even gained some weight back; per the Dinsmores scale i am around 152lbs now. We celebrated Lorenzo's birthday at dinner and afterward in a lounge area with cake, champagne and wine. I think a great time was had by all. It hit me at the time that this was a "last" something as well. Although i will miss these folks and the trail lifestyle i really can't wait to have this trip under my belt and accomplished. I won't have to wait long, 5 more days -ish. Thought of the day; opportunities are always there. Song of the day; i do not recall. Craving of the day; an "orange twist" pastry that i saw but didn't get today at the bakery, hopefully tomorrow.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Home Sweet Home
- The Slow Return
- The Waiting Game
- Hello Canadia
- Last night on the trail
- Oh what a beautiful morrrrrning
- At Rainy Pass it's snowing
- At Rainy Pass it's raining
- Last Zero
- Steak in Stehekin
- Blowdown City
- Going North feels like I'm climbing the earth
- Bears Number 8,9 &10
- Exiting Skykomish
- Dinsmores River Haven
- Up and Down, Up and Down
- The air show, the bear show
- The closer i get, the harder it gets
- 250 miles left, whoa
- Camped at Mirror Lake
- Another day bites the dust
- It's Elk Season
- Next stop Snoqualime
- Wilderness to Cruisers
- Goat Rocks Wilderness
- Sunshiny day
- Trail, Town, Trail
- Huckleberry Heaven Part Deux
- Day 2 in WA; Day 2 of rain
- Welcome to Washington...it also rains here
- Oregon Scenes
- ▼ September (31)