Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Day 151
I spent most of last night waiting to go to the bathroom, and the rest of the time in the bathroom. I caught all my flights and arrived to LAX around 945. As i exited the jet way there were my parents with a huge hand-made sign welcoming me home. It felt good, real good. All was great until i got home and realized my gastrointestinal distress was overpowering my appetite while croissants, fruit, eggs, and all other wonderful things that sat in front of me. By 3ish i had decided that whether it was giardia or not i needed some antibiotics or something. Went to urgent care, the doctor told me we would do this "half assed" and then prescribed only 3 days of antibiotics. I got the feeling he didn't quite believe me regarding my symptoms, and when he asked if others on the trail with giardia had gotten better with Flagyl and Cipro (not what he was prescribing) i thought this guy might not have a clue. At any rate i got the drugs and took some with dinner, now i am back on the throne and writing this blog. I really hope it gets better tomorrow. Its killing me that on the trail i imagined all this great food when i got home, now here it is, and i cannot enjoy it. Now that i am home and at the true end of my PCT adventure, this will be my last post for awhile. When i get a chance to stop thinking about my food and bowels and their terrible relationship troubles, i hope to get reflective and do a final post to wrap it all up. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Thought of the day; getting giardia while still on the trail would have made me quit i think. Song of the day; iiiiii wouldnt daaaance with anutherrrrr, wooooooo ,when i sawwww herr standin therrrrrr - Mr. Monogamy. Craving of the day; to eat like a regular person.
Post Script; it is the morning, i think i am on the road to recovery which crosses the hwy of gluttony in the next couple days hopefully
JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

His aunt Janie was at the airport to meet him, too - he just forgot to mention it in the agonizing throes of his current gastrointestinal distress.
Get better soon Jess - it is almost time to PAR-TEE! PAR-TEE! PAR-TEE!