Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Day 2 in WA; Day 2 of rain

Day 123, Mile 2197.5---This morning i awoke to a dry tent. Got a bit of a late start but that tends to happen when I've just been in town. It was nice to be able to pack up without worrying about things getting wet. Don't Panic found a silk sleeping bag liner laying on the ground next to our tents this morning. I decided to hold on to it just in case my sleeping bag is not back to its original temp performance. It is actually a good thing i did because when i took the sleeping bag out tonight i can tell it is not back to its original loft at all. Hopefully through use and maybe some sun time, if i ever get any, it will get right. Today the terrain was pretty up and down. Kind of par for Washington according to the elevation profile. It looks like it is common to go up 3000ft only to lose 3000ft and then go back up 1600ft all in one day. Not looking forward to that because my right foot is being problematic again. Hopefully it will heal soon, there is not much i can do for it. I stopped for dinner tonight and Hoffa came through followed by Landshark and Caterpillar. Landshark is the guy who tried to give me the trail name of "Black Angus", i don't remember if i wrote about that on a post or not. Also Moonpie showed up a few miles later where we are camped for the night. It's a pretty cold night tonite. It rained most of the afternoon and evening but it let up about 6:15 and hasn't rained since. When it cleared up the temperature really dropped. Cold enough that the line that forms at the bottom of my screen when it gets cold as of late, is now changing from black to blue. Its like a Coors can or something. Last thing, i bleached my h2o bladder during my zeroes. I think i used too much bleach because i rinsed it out a bunch of times but all day it tasted like i was drinking pool water. Alright it's getting real cold - gotta go. Thought of the day; less than 460 miles to go and counting. Song of the day; workout tape by Kanye West. Craving of the day; Japanese food at Kinokawa with my Mom and Dad.


JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Mom and Dad said...

Jesse-boy, Kinokawa when you come home! And you shall have sunshine, lots and lots of sunshine, and leave that old rain behind you!

Love Mom xoxoxoxo