Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Friday, September 26, 2008

At Rainy Pass it's raining

Day 144, Mile 2593.8---Got an early start this morning by catching the first bus out. Stopped by the Stehekin Pastry Co. to pick up my order and a few day-old items for breakfast. It was there that i failed a test of the PCT. I thought i recognized a very pretty girl working in the back as a fellow UCSB grad. Instead of saying "excuse me did you go to UCSB?" or "you look really familiar" i just stared. Real smooth. I was pissed at myself that i thought i had been gaining all this confidence on the trip, and yet i couldn't even ask a girl where she went to school. Anyway we got back on trail a little after 9. It looked promising early on weather wise, but by the end of the day it rained for most of the time. I arrived last at Rainy Pass to find everyone enjoying some great trail magic. Some former PCT alumni had a tent set up with tons of beer and hot dogs. Although i was grateful, i was a little concerned that i wouldn't be able to eat down my pack weight. For some reason on this leg i thought it was a good idea to pack almost 5 days of food plus what feels like 3-5lbs of baked goods. I think i will be gaining weight down the home stretch. I didn't sleep too well last night so i am going to lay it down now. Thought of the day; what should i write in the border log? Song of the day; iiii neeed a liiight light. to help me smowwwk awayyyy this paaayaain - some rapper. Also, wouuuuld you knooowww my naaayme, if i saw you in hehvunn - Eric Clapton. Craving of the day; half a cantaloupe filled with blueberries.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: