Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Slow Return

Day 150---I look like a bum, my pack smells like one, we sit together in purple chairs at the Vancouver International Airport. I arrived about an hour ago. I had plans to go out with James and his beer league hockey team this evening. The only flight that looked good was the 7am tomorrow morning out of Vancouver to LAX. Consequently i had to leave on the last flight out of Kelowna this evening. James was at a golf tourney so i had to take a taxi and leave a note like some spurned lover. I felt like my Kelowna tour was cut short, but home has been calling me for some time, so i had to take the opportunity. My box will have to be returned to sender, i bought clothes at "Winners" to wear on the plane. I forgot my belt and i am wearing crocs for dress shoes. I look like a bum who went on a small shopping spree at one time and did a fairly poor job. I called the parentos to tell them i would be arriving tomorrow, they suggested (among many other things) that i get a hotel room for the night. Seems like a whole lot of effort. There is a hotel attached to the airport so i inquired about a room. On the way up the stairs i noticed a woman in pajamas being questioned by the police. She looked up at me with manic eyes of recognition and jumped up to greet me, the police stopped her. That sentence was overdone. Anyway the concierge informed me that the room would be 330 dollars, way too much. So now i sit on the purple chairs. I wanted to get back through security and customs tonight while it was slow, but my bag cannot be checked until 4am. Sleeping at the gate sounded very appealing; sleeping on the purple chairs around the corner from ms. psycho, not so much. Its ok though, i am not sure i could sleep anyway, i think i have giardia. Just the very beginning of it, the part most people attribute to trail food etc. I could be wrong, maybe its just the extreme switch in diet and lack of proper nutrients or something. It's uncomfortable but not terrible. I will go to urgent care tomorrow in LB and get some anti-biotics to catch it before i am shitting on myself in a week or so. Exciting i know. TMI most likely. Alright i realize i am just writing to use time now. Thought of the day; what food you choose to eat, is who you are. Song of the day; something something out the bedroom dorrrr, goodbyeeeee goodbyeeeeee - ??. Craving of the day; my bed, my good sleep, my gastrointestinal health, not necessarily in that order.


JWC on the PCT

No comments: