Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Going North feels like I'm climbing the earth

Day 140, Mile 2539.4---Up, dowwwwn, up, down, uuuup. Two 2000ft climbs, one 1000ft climb, one 500ft climb. A fairly brutal day. Saw two more bears today, not close but that was a good thing because you could actually sit and watch them for awhile. The clouds burned off by the afternoon and so far so good. We all keep expecting rain, in fact as i type this i am imagining waking to the sound of drops in the morning. Tomorrow starts the section of trail that is un-maintained. We passed a few southbounders who said it was pretty terrible but only lasted for about 2 miles. This section of trail has been closed for the past 5 years and was just recently opened back up even though its not been entirely re-done. Anyway all that to explain it's going to be tough. I have had a couple of times the last few days where my body says no mas and my mind has almost agreed. I have had other awe-some times like last nights sunset and this evenings moonrise as well. Times where you just pause and go wow, i am extremely lucky to be out here. It will all be over in a matter of days now, definitely bitter sweet, but more sweet. Tonight i am camped with Hoffa, Landshark & Caterpillar. Hawkeye, Danger-Prone and Lorenzo are just 0.7 miles ahead. I should mention Lorenzo, he is an incredible man. A soon to be 59 year old Italian, he came to the U.S. to hike the trail knowing hardly any English. His boots are big, his pack is large, a giant Nikon D80 SLR hangs from his neck. He shaved with an electric tri-foil razor at the top of Fire Creek Pass today. Whenever you talk to him you cannot help mimicking the cadence with which he speaks. Although he wants his trail name to be Walker Wolf, everyone calls him Uncle Lorenzo. One of the great people and characters of the trail. It's late. Thought of the day; i wonder if my parents will meet me in baggage claim or at the gate with a welcome home sign. Song of the day; daaammm this traffic jammm how i hayt to be layyt, hurts my mowter to go soooo slowwww! - some jazz group. Craving of the day; bonzai burger from Red Robin with the all you can eat fries.


JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could the Italian be Bruce?