Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Next stop Snoqualime

Day 129, Mile 2317.4---This morning i woke just in time for the 7am continental breakfast. Last night was a lot of fun but i definitely felt the lack of sleep today. A group of us had breakfast at Peters Inn around 8:30. I got an omelet with sausage, swiss, and mushrooms, country potatoes, toast, and a fat cinnamon roll all for just under 12 bucks. I just realized as i write this that i totaled my check wrong, oops. After breakfast a couple of us went to the market to do some resupply shopping. Although i already got a great box from the parentos i have decided to augment a bit. I added a bag of wheat kaiser rolls, sliced tillamook cheddar, and pepperoni to make my lunches more hearty. Got packed up and out of the hotel by 12. Went and used the internet at the sports hut to check my comments on the blog. Thanks to all who comment as it continues to propel me on this journey. I am sure i have said that before, maybe even the same language, anyway - its true, thanks. Went and bought a pint of Hagen Daus ice cream and ate it while attempting to hitch back to the trail for about 20 minutes. Gave up for the time being and went to call my Mom one last time to make sure everything is in order. Kind of scary to lose my support team for the first time in the entire trip, but I'm sure I'll manage. Got a ride soon thereafter with Don't Panic and Clearwater back up to White Pass. Hung around in the store and bullshitted with some other hikers who just got in for awhile and then finally decided i should get back on trail. Interesting thing though, one of the hikers was Yetti whom i met on day 1 and have not seen since, until today, pretty cool. Got into camp after dark and met up with the rest of the crew. After dinner and a few songs by Landshark on the guitar (Clearwater carries a backpacking guitar) it is now late and i am in need of a solid nights sleep. Thought of the day; Happy Grandparents day to my Grandma, Namer, and Granddad. Song of the day; this one song we did in high school that utilized "throat singing". Craving of the day; sleep.


JWC on the PCT

No comments: