Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Friday, September 26, 2008

At Rainy Pass it's snowing

Day 144, Mile 2593.8 ---It rained for most of the night. By the time everyone was up it was very cold and snowing. We were at approx 4800 feet and had to go to 6800ft today at a couple different points on trail. Every ones gear was wet to some degree and all the tents got soaked when taking them down in the snow/rain. After some deliberation we all decided to try and get down into town to dry out. I really wanted to just go north being that we were so close; if i was by myself i may have. The PCT alumni told us they could take us down to Mazama(closest town) in two trips. It was a great relief as hitching with 7 folks was going to be more than challenging. Shortly after the first car load left Hawkeye (one of the passengers) came back. He said as they pulled out on the highway a guy came down the road in distress. He rolled his car twice and felt OK but thought he might need some medical attention. Hawkeye gave up his seat quickly. Long story short, we ended up being invited to dry out at his vacation home in Mazama. It is an awesome place. In fact i am writing this sitting in a plush leather recliner right now. It turned out to be his lucky day and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong after a battery of tests. It was our lucky day to get to spend a day in this great house while all the gear dried out. Dry for now anyway. Tomorrow there is a 20 percent chance of rain, the next day 70. Temps anywhere from low 30's to 50's - who knows really. Still planning on getting there by Thursday but a later arrival and less time to hang at the monument unfortunately. We are getting out of here early tomorrow hoping to make big miles so i should go to sleep. Thought of the day; pay it forward. Song of the day; push it by salt-n-peppa. Cravings of the day; honey crisp apples with caramel, eggs benedict, french bread french toast.


JWC on the PCT

No comments: