Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Monday, September 15, 2008

The closer i get, the harder it gets

Day 134, Mile 2317.0---First off i want to apologize for the lack luster post preceding this one. I was tired, i was distracted, it was very poorly done. Actually i was thinking today that in general my posts have been fairly rudimentary and un-entertaining as of late. I start all of them with "i awoke..." or "this morning..." or "i slept...". So i will work on doing better in the future, all 14ish days of it. That's right, 14ish days left and i will be crossing the Canadian border. I know starting tomorrow it will fly by. On the one hand i know i will miss it, on the other i am ready to be finished. You would think that by now i would just be flying along everyday, but the opposite is true. I walk slower, my body is tired, and i am more cautious. I say cautious because while i do have more confidence in myself in general now, i don't want to do anything injurious that would jeopardize my finishing the trail. Today i had a great breakfast, some internet time, and talked to the parentos, before departure around 12. My dad informed me that my picture from Mt. Whitney made it into the Press-Telegram for "roving readers". Even though summiting Mt. Whitney seems like so long ago, and mildly irrelevant now, that is still pretty cool. I keep falling asleep so i should stop. Camped with MoonPie, Clearwater, Landshark & Caterpillar, and Don't Panic made it in about an hour after dark. Thought of the day; money is very interesting. Song of the day; oooh jesse i will cut freshhh flowers for youuuu - by Mary Lou, also the theme song from sports center is stuck on repeat in my dome. Craving of the day; a tropical vacation/adventure with tropical drinks and tropical activities and just tropical-ness.


JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Mom and Dad said...

The picture in the paper is AMAZING! You definitely got top billing, dead center and about 5x7! You should be receiving a copy in your box at Stehekin.
I can't believe you remember that song, Mary Lou would be touched.
You're way too hard on yourself about your post writing, I think everyone is enjoying each one. Just the fact that you have written every single day is quite a feat,especially when you have been on your feet! (don't you miss your momma's corny sense of humor?!
love you sweetie boy
love, mom xoxoxoxoxoxoxox