Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Huckleberry Heaven Part Deux

Day 124, Mile 2219.1---This is going to be short because my hands will only work that long. It was an awesome day for huckleberries. It was like i was in wonka-land or something, some tasted like cantaloupe, others guava. I had two that tasted like pink starburst. Every ones teeth were purple, we passed a day hiker with purple teeth as well. I almost got the trail name of Huckleberry today because of my enthusiasm for them and my constantly being pulled off trail in the hunt for the perfect berry. Got some trail magic today, enjoyed some actual S tarbursts with my lunch. Actually got to meet the people who did the cache as they came to restock. It was nice to be able to thank someone in person instead of being just another name written in a log. Same group as last night is all camped together. It was cold all day and it's really cold right now. My sleeping bag needs help, so tonight it's wool socks and a beanie, possibly a jacket. Headed into Trout Lake tomorrow for a food drop, possibly spending the night and getting a burger and a huckleberry shake. Actually i should clarify, possibly spending the night, definitely getting a burger and a huckleberry shake. Everyone is trying to get up early so i should get to sleep. Thought of the day; why does your nose run when you get cold? This is the bodies best solution, - to flood the face with mucus? Song of the day; Workout Tape i thinks it's called and Jesus Walks both by Kanye West, i don't know why my brain is on a Kanye kick. Craving of the day; grilled cheese and tomato soup, also the breakfast i had at Joy & Kens' house.


JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wuddup sir... I'm glad to see you are almost at your final stop... well, I guess not really because back in Long Beach would probably be your final stop for awhile... but in trail terms your final stop... I've been catchin' up reading your blogs and sounds like the trip of a lifetime (so far)... definitely a step up from when we both almost passed out on that one hike up near SB... (i forgot which one it was i just remember both of us sitting on the trail)... I was watching 21 the other night and i remembered us laughing at what is quite possibly the worst line in a movie... where the loss prevention guy says he is gonna break the main character's cheek bone with a small hammer... anyways man... i hope the last miles are good for you and ill talk to you when u get back...