Day 143, a zero---Today was nothing short of awesome. I had breakfast with part of the crew at 8:30am. I enjoyed a Loraine omelet with potatoes and toast and a slice of apple pie a la mode. We then checked out and had some time to sit and wait for the 11o'clock bus to the bakery. Last night we found out the place was booked solid for tonight because of a wedding so our zero was in jeopardy. While we waited for the bus the front desk informed us we got a room. Later on in the day we got a second room, so its all good. The bakery visit was awesome part two. A sandwich, an orange twist, a peach iced tea, side of potato salad, and a lemon bar for lunch. I pre-ordered some things to pack out tomorrow which should be wonderful. For 20 bucks i got lunch and breakfast for the next 4 days on trail. We said farewell to Lorenzo at the bakery and he got a little teary eyed. Hopefully i will catch up with him in Manning Park. Moonpie came in to town by noon and it is her birthday tomorrow, so naturally we had another birthday dinner party this evening. I had the pasta primavera with chicken and shrimp, a salad, clam appetizer, a large piece of carrot cake with a scoop or two of strawberry ice cream on the side - all wonderful. I think i was wrong about my hiker appetite lacking, maybe i just had an off day yesterday. I didn't feel full afterwards but my distended stomach showed otherwise. As I was getting ready for bed Landshark said i looked pregnant so i recreated the Demi Moore Vanity Fair(or something like that) cover and he took my picture. No, that will not make it on the blog. It's late now, the rain started about 2 hours ago and hasn't let up. Hopefully it will have passed over by the morning and we can hike on in good weather. Rain is nice to fall asleep to when you have a roof over your head. Thought of the day; stereotypes are too easy, too simple, too dumb, to be useful. Song of the day; yo no se. Craving of the day; fresh fruit of any type, the orange slice with my breakfast was all i got today.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Home Sweet Home
- The Slow Return
- The Waiting Game
- Hello Canadia
- Last night on the trail
- Oh what a beautiful morrrrrning
- At Rainy Pass it's snowing
- At Rainy Pass it's raining
- Last Zero
- Steak in Stehekin
- Blowdown City
- Going North feels like I'm climbing the earth
- Bears Number 8,9 &10
- Exiting Skykomish
- Dinsmores River Haven
- Up and Down, Up and Down
- The air show, the bear show
- The closer i get, the harder it gets
- 250 miles left, whoa
- Camped at Mirror Lake
- Another day bites the dust
- It's Elk Season
- Next stop Snoqualime
- Wilderness to Cruisers
- Goat Rocks Wilderness
- Sunshiny day
- Trail, Town, Trail
- Huckleberry Heaven Part Deux
- Day 2 in WA; Day 2 of rain
- Welcome to Washington...it also rains here
- Oregon Scenes
- ▼ September (31)