Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Camped at Mirror Lake

Day 132, Mile 2392.7---Last night i didn't sleep well. For some reason the way my tent was positioned the acoustics made it sound like there were mice in my pack every time either Hoffa or Don't Panic moved in their tents. I was convinced it was mice as i had a hole chewed through my mesh pocket the other night. It was after about an hour of vigilance that i finally realized what i was hearing. Still didn't sleep that well hearing Hoffa and Don't Panic toss and turn not sleeping well themselves. Anyway today was a lot of steep ups and steep downs. I am not sure why the trail has changed so much but in all of California and Oregon we never had grades like this. Everybody complained about it at one point or another throughout the day, and we all did it nonetheless. Ran into a hunter today that reminded me of an older Jesse, not me Jesse, crazy Jesse from outside Ashland. He wanted to know where i had seen or heard elk in the area. He also informed me that it was only bull elk bugle-ing not hunters so i stand corrected from the previous post. 9+ miles to get into Snoqualime tomorrow, everybody is looking forward to showers and some good food at the "Family Pancake House". I am fading fast. Thought of the day; who invented the toaster? and at what point did toast become popular enough to elicit such an invention? Song of the day; gotta live to eat, gotta eat to live, otherwise weeeed get along - Aladdin. Craving of the day; my Mom's teriyaki drumettes and all the vegetables i could fit on a plate or two.


JWC on the PCT

No comments: