Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Whole lot more of nothing much

Day 45, zero---This morning the sun didn't just wake me up by being bright; the heat was unbearable. I thought i had picked a good spot the night before but apparently not. We packed up this morning and moved campsites because Grizz prefers a specific spot in the very back. I must say it was one of the nicer spots i had seen throughout the campground. Is nicer a word? I think not. Anyway we spent the day hanging out and talking outdoorsy stuff, what gear works best when, where, how, and why. Always the where and the why were explained sometimes the other two were lacking. Met TK- Grizz's friend, another Venice resident and also a man who works in the outdoor industry. The food got combined with what was left of our box and it was pretty near perfect for the day. Good to relax and eat...again, but i am definitely ready to take off tomorrow. This is the longest time i have been sedentary the entire trip. My cankles are still there so i am hoping when i get back on the trail they will return to normal. I'm really hoping i didn't do some sort of permanent cankle building with all this walking. Had a great dinner this evening courtesy of Grizz; pork loin cooked on the open fire, roasted sweet corn, salad, and pasta with a olive oil and garlic red sauce. It was our last well balanced dinner for awhile. I had a moment today as i was reclined on a flat rock and looking through the tree's at the cloudless sky. I felt a realization of how lucky i am to be able to be out here and doing this. Not everybody would choose this i know, but everyone should have the opportunity to get 5 months with obligations only to themselves and their journey. Whatever and wherever that journey may be. I know that this seems distant and idealistic for most, so i will take full advantage of my opportunity each and every day on this trail. Although this should not be confused with me hiking for anyone other then myself. OK, i was about to go off on more of a tangent then i already have. But basically i wish this feeling on everyone, there that's it. Tomorrow i head into what Grizz called the "longest unbroken stretch of wilderness in the lower 48". I am not sure if this is true, but the feeling(a good one) is just the same. On the 20th i plan to summit Whitney, i am still debating on taking crampons. 14,000 plus feet and thigh deep river fords in between- here i come. I will not be able to send blog updates for 11 days starting tomorrow the 15th. So in advance, i would like to say Happy Fathers day to my Dad and Granddad. You two are the kind of father i hope to be someday, the kind with kids grown and out of the house. Really though, i can only hope to have the integrity, stamina, humor, and heart it takes to be a father of your caliber. The both of you -if that wasn't abundantly clear in my plural confusion. Jarell Happy Fathers day to you as well, i hope your first is a good one. Alright its getting late, time to lay it down. Thought of the day; its OK to be cautious, its not OK to be fearful- fear is just False Expectations About Risk .(got that acronym from Rock & Ice in New Zealand- just in case that is copyrighted) Song of the day; random country-that was all the radio would pick up. Craving of the day; Enriques garlic shrimp, and some vanilla ice cream with champagne mango cut up on top.


JWC on the PCT

4 comments:

ark said...

Jesse...Having the kind of feet and ankles that respond to too much heat and too much pressure by swelling, I have been forced to find the only remedy. You simply have to lie down. Just putting your feet up doesn't work. So when you have your days of rest, even if you are feeling ok, find a good book and make yourself recline. Also...enough liquids and cut down on salty foods. But I have done two and three without "reclining" and it doesn't work as well. I am so looking forward to your next post as you navigate your way through the Sierra Nevadas. Love......Andrea

Sandra said...

We can completely relate with what you are feeling... We had eight months at Grandma Chartier's wonderful beach cabin. Eight months of no work, responsibilities, schedules etc..
Eight incredible months with our beautiful daughter and with each other. Everyone should be so lucky to have a time like that in their lives. Live each day to the fullest as it will be over much too quickly. I promise that you will wish to be back on that trail, sitting beside one of those fires with your cankles being your biggest concern. Can't wait for your next posts.
Jefferson and Sandra

Mom and Dad said...

Jesse - Forest fires, snow fields, waist deep river crossings and mosquitoes. Wow, if it wasn't for the 25 miles a day, the dried food and sleeping on the ground, we would think you were on vacation.

Love M&D

Unknown said...

Jesse, just learned of your fabulous adventure. I'm so jealous! I'll follow along the way and try to meet up when you’re in the Northwest, if only for a few days. Diego