Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Beautiful Day x 2

Day 39, Mile 659ish & Day 40, --Mile 681.3--You will see why i am writing two days together soon enough. Yesterday morning started out a little rough as i had a 12:21am call(demand really) of nature and then stayed up another half hour writing in my journal waiting for stomach to settle. I'm pretty sure it was the chicken out of a bag, it got me the first night in Lake Morena too and i hadn't eaten it since. Anyway so we did some miles, went to a cabin and spring and got some water yadah yadah you know the deal. Kraig and Gina were really low on snack food, and after eating through most of my trail mix the first 4 days i wasn't doing that great either. After some more miles we came out to hwy 178 at Walker Pass. We all needed water to take us the 13 miles to the next source. The camp faucets were off, the cache was empty. The only available water was in a concrete tank with cattails growing out and at least 5 types of bugs in their various stages of life. We sat around for a few minutes and contemplated using my filter and their aqua mira to possibly make it potable if not palatable. Earlier Kraig in his hungered state had brought up the idea of hitching into Lake Isabella for a meal and then coming back to the trail. I had thought about it first thing in the morning but didn't want to say anything and figured i should just tough it out. Well the water was the last straw and we decided to attempt a hitch. We could get some more snack food and clean water if we only made it to Onyx(17mi), and much more if we could get the 35 miles out to Lake Isabella. We stood on the side of 178 for about a half hour. It was a Sunday so everyone was leaving Lake Isabella, nobody going in, and those that were didn't want to give us a ride. We finally gave up and decided to head back to the trail head and figure out water on the way. Then the best trail magic to happen to me yet-happened. "Beth" and "Wendell "drove into the spur road and said "we saw you guys give up when we passed and felt bad so we thought we should come back, need a ride? we're on our way to Lake Isabella" We piled in, then the next amazing thing happened. Beth asked if we would like a ride back to the trail, as they were just going to Lake Isabella for a short visit with an Aunt and then going back this way. I need to shorten this up- pizza, ice cream, and snack food was bought, oh and water and we got picked up and driven back- best 4 hr detour of the trail so far. Only problem is that we got back about 6pm and still had 6 miles to do to make our mileage for the day. Another abbreviated version- it got dark, we went past our intended camp spot, we hiked until 1045ish, did almost 9 miles instead of 6, it was not fun. Hence the reason I'm writing tonight about both days. So this morning we awoke in our little spot on the side of the cliff and started off. Today was another great sunny day and the smoke from a fire (we think its burning north of Kennedy Meadows) had settled into the valleys opening the views up a bit. Couple of big climbs today, an even bigger one coming up tomorrow. We made it to Chimney Peaks campground early around 530, and were greeted by bear tracks on the road leading into camp. Its going on 9 now and still no sign of him/her, so hopefully it will stay that way and i can get a good nights sleep as opposed to last night. One other problem with this campsite- mosquitoes. They love me, i already have 4 bites on my forehead and 5 on my back and legs and even as i lie here in my mesh tent body they are whining outside constantly. Looking forward to the DEET in the next box, otherwise i think i will be anemic in a short while. Tomorrow we head to Kennedy Meadows, camp there tomorrow night and then hit up the general store in the morning for all our food and gear maildrops. I cannot wait for new shoes, my feet and knees have been not good the last two days at all. At about the 450 mile mark my shoes got questionable, and now at 530 they are done for. Also i am down to one pair of socks with heels in them. Also i am so dirty it's starting to actually bother me. Also my clothes haven't been washed since may 26th at the Saufleys. Its all in need of a fix...also. 3 days hanging out at Kennedy ought to do that. Alright this has been entirely too long, single day posts shall resume i promise. Thought of the day; random acts of kindness set off a chain reaction of goodwill. Songs for two days; Kiss the girl by uh- Sebastian the crab, Wastin' away again in magaritaville by somebody, I'm still Jenny from the block by Jennifer "beautiful booty" Lopez, This is how we doooo it, this-is-how-we-do-it by somebody, Myyy kind of town chicagooo isss by Sinatra. Craving of the day; Schats bakery cheese bread and a nap.


JWC on the PCT------------------------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Margaritaville: Jimmy Buffet

ark said...

Jesse...Don't ever apologise for writing too much. It has become my daily joy to read your blog. If you don't post any new ones, I just re-read the old ones. And I love your idea about autistic children. Love............Andrea