Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Crack-head Mosquitoes

Day 52, Mile 800.8
Today was both easy and hard; kind of regular. We made it to Glen Pass by noon and down to the other side by 215ish. It was definitely easier then Forrester but it too had its challenging moments. At the top i met a fellow Long Beachian(Long Beachan?) who was doing a section of the JMT southbound. Weather was coming in and so we talked only briefly and then i continued down the other side. There were some glissadeing (kind of like skiing in your shoes-sort of) opportunities on the north face and it was a pretty efficient way of getting down quickly. We only got rained on briefly as we passed through the Rae Lakes area. It was an amazing set of lakes, each one as picturesque as the next. You could see the trout in the shallows. I think i will come back to the JMT next spring/summer with my dad just to do some decent fly fishing, maybe just a few miles here or there to get to the fish. Today the mosquitoes were out in force and i got a bunch of new bites. The majority of them i got fording/ crossing the streams. I think they hang out at the particularly difficult crossings so that a) you are too busy to swat them, and b) they get that adrenaline surge as well. Other than all that it was a pretty regular day - long though, cause its the solstice. Actually it worked against me because we got into camp about 545, but because of the extra light and a fire ring here i am again at 945 writing instead of sleeping. One last thing though, just wanted to say wassup to the BBSR staff- hope week 1 went well, right now you are probably enjoying your first Saturday night off at Sandy's. Somebody 21 or over drink a Big Bear mug for me. Thought of the day; sometimes attitude can overcome aptitude. Song of the day; Everywhere we gooo-oh(x2) people want to knoooow(x2) whoooo we arrrre(x2) soooo we tell them(x2) weeee are cabin threeeyeeee(x2) mighty mighty threeeyeee(2) youuuu KNOWWWah! - a BBSR original sort of. Cravings of the day; a sandwhich that i can make myself with all of the various things i might want on a sandwich available to me, 3 loafs of my moms banana bread 2 with nuts and a glass of rice dream and milk(half of each), and good popcorn from the stove top.
JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Marnell said...

I am so impressed that you can be so clever and witty when you are tired, hungry and I must add dirty! I keep thinking about one thing--how in the heck could you go hiking with your dad in Mammoth?!