Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Mojave Approach

Day 31, Mile 498.8 - This morning we got up and out early, we were loaded in the van by 530. Last night the dogs barked on and off for a while but oddly did not start up when it sounded like a small animal possibly a raccoon was being killed at about 125am. Everybody enjoyed that little wake up, i heard grumblings all around. I got hot again last night which is a good thing. It means this bag is worth the ridiculous amount of money i paid for it, and a good chance it will make the sierras comfortable, at night anyways. We made excellent time this morning getting 8 miles done in 3 hrs which included a breakfast break. Tomorrow Kraigs' friend "Grizz"(cause he likes grizzly bears apparently) is coming out to meet us at mile 504 point something at Bear camp- how appropriate. In continuing with the slow down process we will probably take a nero (near zero) there with "Grizz". Supposedly he is bringing fruit and beer and snacks so i cannot really afford to miss that. Probably still looking at 3 days in Kennedy Meadows before Sierras departure so we might take a day at Lake Isabella as well. The last 8 miles was tough at times on my leg. It is real weird in that if i can maintain a certain even gate it is just fine, even after it has started hurting. But any irregularities and i feel sharper pain right away. So today i made it 12 miles before it started hurting, maybe with tomorrows nero it can heal a little more. Got to get it right by the time i head into the sierra's. To be honest the sierra's are what i have been most intimidated by in all facets of this trip, researching, planning, and now executing. Ive changed my approach and hopefully it is a good choice. I will now be going out of Kennedy Meadows(start of sierra's) with 11 days of food; 10 days of travel and one day to summit Mt. Whitney. OK i am getting ahead of myself, or ahead of you and the trip rather. The Mojave is really whats next, and it lays below the mountain top we are camped on tonight. Looks rather barren, but not as long as i had envisioned. Its funny because miles wise it seems that i have a long way to go. But time wise it has been flying by, and seems as though it will continue to do so. Its only a week from Tehachapi to Kennedy Meadows and i will be to Tehachapi in 3 days. Really looking forward to seeing my parents in Mammoth, and although its almost a month away it seems very near. Wow this is a long post, we got into camp really early and i was in my tent and in my sleeping bag before the sun was down-that's why. One last thing though, i have decided i am not going to law school this fall. I know, i know, but i am not moving on to something else, i just want to finish the trail absolutely positively. So Oregon folks and family look out cause I'm making it to cascade locks if all goes well. Still haven't worked out my transition back into civilization while avoiding moving back into the parents house, but i got some time to mull that over, ill figure something out. Alright more then enough said, if you've even made it this far. Though! t of the day(compliments of the late Ellis Chartier); She was only the cattleman's daughter, but all the horsemen knew her...Song of the day; since my baby left- dum dum- i found a new place to dwell- dum dum- an easy beat on lonely street called heaaart break hotel, iiiim feelin soo lonely baybaay, im feelin soo lonely i could diiie - by the kaying, Mr Elvis Presley. Craving of the day; quality sushi.

JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No on law school, huh? Well, perhaps you'll become a professional hiker. MORE PICS PLS! :)