Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Departure from "Heaven"

Day 28, Mile 466.7 - I spent the morning finishing up all my packages and battery charging etc. We got out of town about 1:00, picked up a loaf of fresh french bread and some cheese on the way out and ate that for lunch 2 miles down the trail. I also had it for dinner, hopefully my GI system will forgive me for eating an entire loaf of bread and 8oz of cheese in one day. Another apple turnover was had as well while waiting for the bread to finish baking, a win-win really. On the trail today i realized i definitely need another zero. My head just isn't in the game for some reason. Its hard at times to keep this romanticized ideal of hiking the pct alive in my own psyche, or even just the challenge of it. I guess its because it is starting to get a little boring, i feel like I've already done the desert, or enough anyway. It doesn't help that i have this pain and weakness in my knee that goes up into my inner quad muscle. I think its a stress injury as it seems to subside with less activity. The last! 3 miles today were fairly difficult at times because of this. I'll see how i feel after the 15 miles tomorrow and then a zero, maybe some ibuprofen too. Got my new tent up tonight and even Kraig who can be a gear snob at times said it looked good and he liked it. I think i like everything about it so far. It needs more space then my old tent but the base fits on my tyvek ground sheet which is really nice and cost effective for me. Second gear note, i am in love, warm passionate love, with my new sleeping bag. I don't mean to be too risque in saying that we are already sleeping together and its glorious. Western Mountaineering definitely knows what they are doing. Alright I'm gonna go to sleep now. Thought of the day; walking 20 miles a day no matter where you go can sometimes just be time and energy expended. Song of the day; yooou got to go to that looonesome vahahalley, nooobody else will go there for youuuuu- from o'brother where art thou. Craving of the day; just a good crisp yellow delicious apple, also not really a craving but i think i am in need of a good steak-cause i got on the scale at the Saufleys this morning and i am down 15lbs.

JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

christina.kelada said...

Oh, is that all I have to do to loose these 15lbs? 466miles? pfff... I can do that! hahaha... yea right!!! Jess, I think you might be just about one of the only people I know who can do what you are.. I am proud of you! (ps) I moved to Dubai :P