Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Mosquitos suck....my blood

Day 47, Mile 728.6 Well as evidenced by this blog i did not get burnt to a crisp in my tent last night. Although i did wake up a couple times and think the fire was closer, but the longer i watched and the more i woke up i realized we were still in the clear. This mornings walk through the active burn area was an interesting experience. The whole forest was a mono-chromatic gray. It reminded me of Narnia for some reason. A couple places along the trail felled trees and root systems were still on fire, or glowing red and smoking profusely. Despite my attempts to capture it on picture or video, it never quite came out right. Anyway we made it through all that and started our climb for the day. We topped out at 10,560ft, the highest i have been so far on the PCT. For the most part, the day consisted of climbing and killing mosquitoes. I have never killed so many in a single day. We are camped next to a creek tonight and the mosquitoes continue to be amazing. During dinner i counted 14 on Kraigs right shoulder/back alone. I DEET'd myself except under my socks and therefore i now have about 5 bites on each ankle. I finished dinner and came straight to my tent even though its only 730, they are hovering and waiting and accosting the tent mesh. I just counted 9 on the -ok I'm going to stop, nobody wants to know this and you got the point already I'm sure. According to the data book we don't go below 9000 feet for the next 68+ miles of trail. Its probably even longer but that's as far as it goes on the pages i have in the tent with me. Tomorrow we meet Tigger down at horseshoe meadows for our next food drop, looking forward to it, but definitely not the added weight. Shoes are giving me a few problems but not terrible. The ankle bites are going to be more of an annoyance tomorrow then the small blisters that are developing. Ok i am going to try and go to sleep even though its only 820 and the sun hasn't set. Thought of the day; what reason is there for mosquito's in the world other then to spread disease and currently ruin my life in the sierra's. Song of the day; wastin away again in margaritaville... again. Craving of the day; crab legs with a garlic and lemon butter with a touch of orange zest. post script: i woke up just now at 1231am to the earth shaking, it woke up Gina too, hopefully that's as big as it goes tonight cause I'm not exactly in a tree-less area a.k.a the forest. JWC on the PCT

No comments: