Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Southern Sierra Wilderness

Day 48, Mile 744.8
Today was a good day. With scenery like this the miles seem to fly by. The mosquitoes were still an issue all day. At every water source you basically traded say 2 liters of water for 6 bites and a possible case of west Nile or malaria. But besides that it was aaaall good. At one point today the mountains that i keep taking pictures of of in the distance were no longer off in the distance. Mt. Whitney is only 21.5 trail miles from where we pick back up tomorrow morning. After Whitney we join up with the John Muir Trail(JMT) for the next 200+ miles until Tuoulmne Meadows. Tonight we are camped at horseshoe meadows where we picked up our food. I managed to cram most of the 8.5 days of food into my bear canister. Depending on the spot the rest will either hang from a tree or get thrown in a bear box when available. We sat down after dinner and planned our approach to Whitney. As it looks now we will do about 18 miles tomorrow. The the following day we will drop most of our food at Crabtree ranger station in a bear box and then continue on up to Guitar Lake and make a base camp. The following day we will summit, and then try and tack on some miles at the end of the day to get to another site with bear boxes. That was a little heavy on the logistical side but there may be a few folks following along with maps and everything (my father). Alright i started this too late as it was...is. Goodnight. Thought of the day (bear with me on this one i have no idea either); developmental ways, coded frays, don't stand too close to the by-way. Song of the day; don't have one that i remember i guess. Craving of the day; California pizza kitchen- 1/2 a California Cobb, a Thai chicken pizza and a mushroom pizza.
Post Script; it has occurred to me just before i was about to fall asleep that with the earthquake last night the entire so cal coast could be in the ocean, i hope not.
JWC on the PCT

No comments: