Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

VVR-- Vermillion Valley Resort

Day 57, Mile 880ish
This morning we made the 1.4 mile walk down to the lakeside to be picked up by the "ferry" to take us to VVR. The "ferry" was more like a small pontoon boat, but it worked. It picks up for VVR at 945 and drops you back off at 445, so we had most of the day there. As soon as we arrived we sat down to breakfast. I had a greasy breakfast burrito which hit the spot. We handled various logistical business, picked up a food drop, and hung around on some picnic tables. They were going to charge me $2/min for using the phone to send blog posts via my pocket-mail so i decided to wait til Mammoth in 1.5 days, and i just sent a 5 sec telegram (you know this already). The news was on the TV, Fox News to be exact. I was amazed at the amount of bullshit being broadcast as fast as possible. At one point one of the hosts talking about a girl found murdered and the investigation ensuing said something to the effect of;"in all likelihood wouldn't it possibly suggest then, the FACT that...." After great lines like that i was treated to speculation as to Obama's position on hip-hop and the artists choice of lyrics and or song themes therein. All i know is you won't see a report on McCain's position on country music or slow rock...so wtf. Anyway the food was ok and gave me some much needed calories. I haven't looked in a mirror in 11 days and i was surprised at what i saw in the bathroom mirror. My beard is doing this weird curl thing only on the right side of my chin, my bald spot is buying up new dome real estate, and i am very skinny. I got on their scale and if it is correct, i have lost 24 pounds so far. Not enjoying that. Wow it is getting really cold and my fingers are starting to ache. Going to curl up now. Thought of the day; arrogance has a place somewhere, it knows that for sure. Song of the day; just pick a random song from Ludacris' album "chicken and beer" i had a bunch of them going through my head today. Craving of the day; a quality vanilla milkshake and my moms banana bread(seems to be a popular one for me)
JWC on the PCT

No comments: