Day 43, zero again---Today i awoke to the smell of smoke in the air. The clover fire as its being called, has gone to 1,311 acres and is being left to burn for "resource benefit". So far PCT hikers will still be allowed to hike through the active burn area as long as you are escorted by firefighters during daylight hours according to the ranger i talked with. If everything stays stable we should be able to leave as planned on the 15th. The day was fairly benign, i racked up more on my tab at the general store despite the 23lbs of edibles my mother sent me. Just got off the phone with the parentos actually and she decided to include more fruit with some gear i needed sent up -definitely can't complain. Found out some good news today; i do not have to carry 11 days of food out of here. Tigger whom I've mentioned before is going to be meeting Chuck Norris in a spot 2.5 days out of here and offered to carry the rest of our food in her van and drop it in a bear box or give it to us personally if we meet up at the same time. That was a hefty sentence to say the least. Anyway you get the point. Then i would be able to actually fit my food in my bear canister. I'll carry 2.5 out of here and then 8.5 out of Horseshoe Meadows (Tigger meeting spot) and still have food to summit Whitney and all that. Alright that was a logistics laden way of saying I'm going to be able to enjoy the Sierra's a bit more now. This place is starting to fill up and there is a party planned for Saturday. Although as it looks now I'm going to be back at Chimney Peaks campground with Kraig and Gina; Grizz is meeting us there Saturday in the a.m. Not sure how i feel about missing the festivities yet, but if i change my mind I'll probably just meet up with them here on Sunday before departing. Looking forward to my box of fruit and gear tomorrow. If it gets here early enough most of the day will be spent re-packing for the Sierras and preparing the Tigger food drop etc. Alright I'm going to give up on making this post even remotely interesting, i mean really i just sat around most of the day and ate food and drank a few beers on the deck this evening- that's pretty much it. I'm gonna go to sleep now. Oh yeah and i got my posts to send on the general store land line finally (as you can see), must just be this particular payphone- i hope. Thought of the day; most of the time i feel as though i do not quite "fit in" in any given place or group, not sure why. Song of the day; uh forgive me in advance but the one that goes- in the sitaaay, city of Compton/Watts/Long beach/Inglewood (whichever one) we keeeep it rockin(x 2), shake it shake it baby etc... Craving of the day; been eating pretty good, can't remember one if i had it.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Almost there....
- VVR-- Vermillion Valley Resort
- Yaw! Fish Yaw!
- Fading Fast
- Eulogy's and unfortunate circumstances
- 2 Passes, 2 Bears, 2 Wet Feet
- Crack-head Mosquitoes
- Today i farted at 14,496ft
- I'll be back here someday
- Southern Sierra Wilderness
- Mosquitos suck....my blood
- What's the guide book say about this?
- Whole lot more of nothing much
- Gone to Chimney Peaks til Sunday
- The mass of hikers is overwhelming
- Relaxing can get boring
- Kennedy frickin Meadows, Hell Yes
- Beautiful Day x 2
- The Short and the Long of it
- My Side Of The Mountain
- The Fan is still on HIGH
- I'm just a hot mess
- A terrible, awful, no good, very bad day
- 3.5 miles in 4 hours
- Nero at "Grizz" Camp
- The Mojave Approach
- A Solid Zero
- Two half days = two half days
- Departure from "Heaven"
- Sure didn't feel like a zero
- ▼ June (33)