Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Two half days = two half days

Day 29, Mile 478.6 - First half of the day went to the trail, second half of the day went to Corona and Tecate at the Andersons. If the Saufleys is "hiker heaven", the Anderson's is the the anti-christ to that. First thing when we got in was a beer in the hand and the rules laid out. Rule number 1, don't let the dogs out, and that's it. After a slightly painful last 3 or 4 miles into town it was nice to just sit in a chair and relax in the middle of the day. What an amazing place here in green valley at the Anderson's. A hiker gathering if I've ever seen one. Had hot dogs at 4 and taco salad at 7, and beer flowing throughout the day, they really know what a hiker needs. I am probably going to take another zero tomorrow i think. It depends on what i want to do time wise. I am actually real confused as to my schedule. I'm still hiking with Kraig and Gina and they are on a similar pace and they project a Manning Park arrival date of September 25th. As opposed to my schedule which has a few more zeroes for! visiting folks but a faster pace as well and my arrival date is October 6th. So yeah i don't know, but here i am at the Anderson's slowing down for a Kennedy Meadows arrival date of June 13th or 14th and seemingly pushing back my northern terminus date as well. So now after reading this you can be as confused as i am, see its like you're right out here with me... lost apparently. There is a manzanita forest behind the Anderson's house that has tons of camping spots. I of course thought i needed to go as deep as possible into the 1/4 mile of trail back in here. I am slightly regretting it now that i can hear what sounds like a decent sized mammal, well to be honest it sounds like human steps circling my tent. I'd rather it was an animal, as long as it doesn't get my food bag which is hanging from the tree over my tent. Alright sleep time, before my imagination gets active. Thought of the day; my leg needs to hurry up and heal. Song of the day; i think the title is Angels Among U! s by Alabama. Craving of the day; the fillet mignon my dad made before i left, possibly the best steak of my life so far.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: